What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Brambles »

Filled the dehydrator with sliced peppers today. Sliced thinner on the Mandolin, they have dried much better and retained colour. Very happy! :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Picked up 4 packets of leeks whose sell-by date was that day for pennies in Sainsbury's. Put them in the dehydrator the next day - filled 8 shelves! Now I have 4 bags of dried leeks! I'm loving this thing, I it is so addictive! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Picked up 4 packets of leeks whose sell-by date was that day for pennies in Sainsbury's. Put them in the dehydrator the next day - filled 8 shelves! Now I have 4 bags of dried leeks! I'm loving this thing, I it is so addictive! :D

Glad to have another convert to the cause sista.

I'm not sure why but I love it.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've been using the Lidl Mandolin for slicing and I can say this; the end product is of a far better quality than I am used to with hand slicing. Not only is it more uniform in drying the colour and texture is better and stuff rehydrates to almost as good as fresh. Really pleased :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Onions! :D Now I'm sure to you experienced old hands, dehydrating onions doesn't rate too highly on the excitement scale, but dried onions was one of the main reasons I asked for the dehydrator. (The other was jerky!) When I cook a meal the first thing I invariably do is slice up an onion so I've always been acutely aware of have an giant onion sized hole in my preps. I have several packets of Whitworths dried onions but I seriously resent the price! I've tried to purchase onion strings which I read last longer owing to the necks being sealed from the platting, but modern farming methods mean the onions have their necks cut when they're pulled, so no success there. So yesterday I bought a 99p 4KG bag of onions from a local ethnic food store, and this morning I chopped the lot (inadvertently recreating the 'onion scene' from Julie and Julia) and filled the dehydrator to the top. Approx 3 onions per shelf, 9 shelves so my school-girl maths tells me that's 27 onions. Practically a month's supply! :D Unfortunately my house started to smell like a curry factory so I've moved the dehydrator outside. Should be finished in time for bed. I'm feeling very smug. :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Onions! :D Now I'm sure to you experienced old hands, dehydrating onions doesn't rate too highly on the excitement scale, but dried onions was one of the main reasons I asked for the dehydrator. (The other was jerky!) When I cook a meal the first thing I invariably do is slice up an onion so I've always been acutely aware of have an giant onion sized hole in my preps. I have several packets of Whitworths dried onions but I seriously resent the price! I've tried to purchase onion strings which I read last longer owing to the necks being sealed from the platting, but modern farming methods mean the onions have their necks cut when they're pulled, so no success there. So yesterday I bought a 99p 4KG bag of onions from a local ethnic food store, and this morning I chopped the lot (inadvertently recreating the 'onion scene' from Julie and Julia) and filled the dehydrator to the top. Approx 3 onions per shelf, 9 shelves so my school-girl maths tells me that's 27 onions. Practically a month's supply! :D Unfortunately my house started to smell like a curry factory so I've moved the dehydrator outside. Should be finished in time for bed. I'm feeling very smug. :D
I quickly learned to move the dehydrator to the garage, onions and garlic can get a bit whiffy, it doesn't bother me too much but I'm aware that not everybody is as fond of them as I am. Leeks are another one that I have loads of, mushrooms, basically all the stuff we use regularly except broccoli.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I got round to drying that bag of frozen mixed veg. It all fits into a lb jar now :D That's one of the great things about dehydrating.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Recent posts have got me wanting to fire up the dehydrator again :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Recent posts have got me wanting to fire up the dehydrator again :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Recent posts have got me wanting to fire up the dehydrator again :lol:

Would have but nothing in the whoopsie aisle tonight :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.