What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
kizzie

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by kizzie »

Actually its not such a great deal anymore as there are others available now that are way cheaper these days. So removed my link

What dehydrators to others have? I just have one of those round ones that are ok but not that great.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-Tray-FO ... 51b42a0a65
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

I have bit the bullet and bought this beast.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201187259389? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I have been hesitating for ages, but my little one doesn't really cut it for the things I want to do.
I thought do I have enough to spare, but no point having money in the bank and not enough preps, should the time come.

I found out you can dehydrate ready ( home made) cooked meals and then just vacuum seal, them or vacuum can them.
So will be experimenting with chicken stew and see how it hydrates.

Will let you all know how I get on.
jasper1

Post by jasper1 »

Hi.....Im completely new to drying food. I unpacked my dehydrator this morning and put 2 trays of onions to dry......the timing in the book for onions is 8-14 MINUTES at 55 degrees......but after 20 they are still the same as they went in......unsurprising after reading this thread with regard to hours of drying time!!!! advice most welcome.....

(tried to upload a picture of the timings page in the book, but unsure how to do this)
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

jasper1 wrote:Hi.....Im completely new to drying food. I unpacked my dehydrator this morning and put 2 trays of onions to dry......the timing in the book for onions is 8-14 MINUTES at 55 degrees......but after 20 they are still the same as they went in......unsurprising after reading this thread with regard to hours of drying time!!!! advice most welcome.....

(tried to upload a picture of the timings page in the book, but unsure how to do this)

This is why I have bought myself a higher wattage one. Two or three days of drying isnt fast enough for me.constantly turning or moving shelves is a pain! I want to put it on and forget it.

Some tips dont pack out shelves to much, frozen foods dehydrate faster than fresh ( plus you can often get them much cheaper)
Do not put near anywhere you are constantly cooking or making tea/coffee as the less humidity the better. :)
jasper1

Post by jasper1 »

Thank you for your reply......I thought the instruction booklet was way optimistic with those timings!!!!

Is it cost effective to run it for so long? might have to re think using it....
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

jasper1 wrote:Thank you for your reply......I thought the instruction booklet was way optimistic with those timings!!!!

Is it cost effective to run it for so long? might have to re think using it....

Im on a key meter and cant say I noticed a big rise. Maybe switch it on and see how fast the meter goes?
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I've been promised a dehydrator from OH this year, I'm so obsessed with watching utube videos at the moment and have seen how to dry potato starch, eggs, cheese and so many food ideas, mainly American though but fascinating to watch. I can't wait to start!!!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

I am in love with my new dehydrator! I am so glad I didn't go for the one with the higher wattage but without the door (they look the same) Seems the trays form the door but there are so many things that are bigger, that you need to remove shelves for to get them in

I have dehydrated Bone broth. then powdered it and a huge pot ( cooked it in my 22q pressure canner) is now a small jar of very concentrated powder.

Yesterday I went to Iceland and bought a ton of veg, its now dried and now packed in vacuum bags.

One thing with veg that is fairly sharp when dried, double bag it and when its in the first bag press down a bit to break the sharper bits.. Dont seal that bag just leave it open (but cut shorter) then put into your food saver bag and seal. Also dont pack away for a few days, just in case anything went wrong, you will have a few days to see before storing away

Just found this bargain on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201184818421? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Thanks Kizzie,

take a look at the shop also mylar bags and more.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Hamradioop wrote:Thanks Kizzie,

take a look at the shop also mylar bags and more.
I did see those. But no way can I afford those, and the oxy things. So I vacuum bag them, then once I know the seal is good I put them into thick black rubble bags and then vacuum and tie that tight then into large vacuum bags ( the type for clothes) That is cheap and doable for me.

See someone on you tube. pop a oxy thing in the bag then vacuum it, then into a mylar with another oxy thing, then in to a jar with another oxy thing and then finally into a food bucket with a few oxythings thrown in. WTF? How the hell can anyone afford to do all that. Its over kill. :D