What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Brambles »

Got some borlotti beans and quorn chicken pieces on the go today.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I have been drying tomatoes,lots of tomatoes!.They were a real success last year ( what few were available after our long holiday).Plums are next,for chutney and In would like to make prunes.

Do any of you dry plums at all? Anything I need to know? Thanks in advance
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Can't help you on the plums J, sorry, I spent a whole pound on a kilo of frozen broccoli to cut smaller and try and dehydrate. Broccoli is one of our regulars but I've never got round to trying it, for some bizarre reason I feel more willing to do frozen stuff as opposed to fresh, I'm guessing its blanched before freezing anyway so I'll see how I go. I'll post the results.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:Can't help you on the plums J, sorry, I spent a whole pound on a kilo of frozen broccoli to cut smaller and try and dehydrate. Broccoli is one of our regulars but I've never got round to trying it, for some bizarre reason I feel more willing to do frozen stuff as opposed to fresh, I'm guessing its blanched before freezing anyway so I'll see how I go. I'll post the results.

Works fine, I do the mixed bags of cauliflower and broccoli. I leave it to defrost first. YMMV
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:
Deeps wrote:Can't help you on the plums J, sorry, I spent a whole pound on a kilo of frozen broccoli to cut smaller and try and dehydrate. Broccoli is one of our regulars but I've never got round to trying it, for some bizarre reason I feel more willing to do frozen stuff as opposed to fresh, I'm guessing its blanched before freezing anyway so I'll see how I go. I'll post the results.

Works fine, I do the mixed bags of cauliflower and broccoli. I leave it to defrost first. YMMV
Thanks mate, aye, all defrosted. Out of curiosity what's the "YMMV", I'm all #curious now. :D
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Thanks mate, aye, all defrosted. Out of curiosity what's the "YMMV", I'm all #curious now. :D
Sorry,

Your Mileage May Vary.... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

More onions today.
How did the broccoli turn out?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got plums drying right now.Quite simple,cut in half,remove stone and turn each half sort of ' inside out to increase surface area ,if that makes sense.The crops on all the fruit trees are huge this year!

Been drying tomatoes too,the jars are lining up.I grow Moneymaker,which is a typically sized supermarket salad tom.But better.Then Gardener's Delight,a large cherry tomato.Of the two,the Gardeners Delight is by far the best in the dehydrator as they are simple to cut in half as they are smaller and dry quickly. Marmande are next Brambles. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:More onions today.
How did the broccoli turn out?
The broccoli looks fine, I've not tried to do anything with it yet so I'll see how it works in anger. I'm bound to use it in something soon, I'll maybe have a packet pasta for my lunch tomorrow to try it.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Picked a few kilos of apples today, not from my tree, mine aren't ready yet but I came across some trees growing feral while I was out filming a video last week, and I picked a load today while we were out picking blackberries.
Some of them are a little small, but they're lovely and sweet.
They'll be going tin the dehydrator tomorrow for apple rings. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.