What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Brambles »

I got a bit of a deal on some Jersey Royals the other day filled the dehydrator with slices and let it do it's thang. Sliced salad potatoes are a great standby and rehydrate really well to use either fried or in a gratin. :) Today it's onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. Always handy. :)
I need to get some more Borlotti and Canellini beans done soon.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:I got a bit of a deal on some Jersey Royals the other day filled the dehydrator with slices and let it do it's thang. Sliced salad potatoes are a great standby and rehydrate really well to use either fried or in a gratin. :) Today it's onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. Always handy. :)
Please may I ask, do you just slice them and then dry them- no other treatment?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:I got a bit of a deal on some Jersey Royals the other day filled the dehydrator with slices and let it do it's thang. Sliced salad potatoes are a great standby and rehydrate really well to use either fried or in a gratin. :) Today it's onions and a bag of frozen mixed veg. Always handy. :)
Please may I ask, do you just slice them and then dry them- no other treatment?
Skin, Slice and blanch, then dehydrate for about 6-8hrs.

If you dry without blanching the starch goes black and you have very colourful, but unappetising discs.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Very excited! Have just unwrapped my shiny new dehydrator which I got for Christmas! Yes, my ability to procrastinate knows no bounds! :oops: It's a Luvele Express. I liked it because the motor is on the top so you don't get drips into it. Couldn't afford an Excalibur! It came with 6 trays and my Dad bought me another 3 plus fruit leather mesh and things, it can expand to 15 trays allegedly. So this morning I bit the bullet and chopped and blanched a bag of carrots and a bag of parsnips (am replicating a dried veg mix which I rather like) which amazingly only filled 3 shelves. These things can take a lot of stuff!! Now I have the smell of gently drying veg in my kitchen which is most excellent :D However, I fear I may have over-blanched, is this likely to cause problems?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Very excited! Have just unwrapped my shiny new dehydrator which I got for Christmas! Yes, my ability to procrastinate knows no bounds! :oops: It's a Luvele Express. I liked it because the motor is on the top so you don't get drips into it. Couldn't afford an Excalibur! It came with 6 trays and my Dad bought me another 3 plus fruit leather mesh and things, it can expand to 15 trays allegedly. So this morning I bit the bullet and chopped and blanched a bag of carrots and a bag of parsnips (am replicating a dried veg mix which I rather like) which amazingly only filled 3 shelves. These things can take a lot of stuff!! Now I have the smell of gently drying veg in my kitchen which is most excellent :D However, I fear I may have over-blanched, is this likely to cause problems?
Iwould thinkover blanching might take out some of the goodness but that would be all. I'm no expert though.

As for the procrastinating, yeah, me too, I talk a good prep but I'm a lazy git by inclination. :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: :D However, I fear I may have over-blanched, is this likely to cause problems?
Nope, you've just dehydrated cooked veg intead of blanched veg. It all rehydrates, just means less cooking the other end! :D
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Excellent! :D This is fun!!! Why didn't I dig it out on Boxing Day?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thankyou Brambles! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Excellent! :D This is fun!!! Why didn't I dig it out on Boxing Day?
Very excited! Have just unwrapped my shiny new dehydrator which I got for Christmas! Yes, my ability to procrastinate knows no bounds! :oops:
Because you're nearly as bad as I am ;) ...... If Freestyle Procrastination was an Olympic sport I'd be up for a medal :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:Thankyou Brambles! :D
You're welcome. :)