What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
preppingsu

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by preppingsu »

Just noticed today that a jar of dehydrated peas has developed mould! :shock:
Another jar dehydrated at the same time are perfectly fine so I'm assuming the seal was not doing its job!

Just goes to show how easy it can be to loose your food...
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

preppingsu wrote:Just noticed today that a jar of dehydrated peas has developed mould! :shock:
Another jar dehydrated at the same time are perfectly fine so I'm assuming the seal was not doing its job!

Just goes to show how easy it can be to loose your food...
Yes. Always put your eggs in many baskets as you never know. :shock:

I have been storing in small ish portions.
If I had put all my items away yesterday two would have gone off as the food must have punctured the bags. So all I have to do is rebags those two.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Been dehydrating fruit , veg, spices for vitamins.

Will put into drinks or sprinkle over food.
StashCache

Post by StashCache »

I've enjoyed reading this thread as it's something that I hadn't considered. I love the bits of banana and apples that you get in some cereals (although I imagine that this is instant freeze dried) It would make some great trail mix though to snack on when on hiking about. Would I be right in assuming this is intended for short term though, a kind of way to store your excess crop to use over winter? Is there rough guidelines on shelf life if vacuum packed or stored in jars?
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

StashCache wrote:I've enjoyed reading this thread as it's something that I hadn't considered. I love the bits of banana and apples that you get in some cereals (although I imagine that this is instant freeze dried) It would make some great trail mix though to snack on when on hiking about. Would I be right in assuming this is intended for short term though, a kind of way to store your excess crop to use over winter? Is there rough guidelines on shelf life if vacuum packed or stored in jars?

I have read that as long as no air gets to it and you keep it in a dark place then it will keep for years.

Look on youtube there are 100s of videos on dehydrating and storing.

Im blooming hooked got a 2 dozen egg shells ( for calcium ) and bone broth dehydrating at the moment. Tomorrow going to dehydrate the eggs.
StashCache

Post by StashCache »

kizzie wrote:I have read that as long as no air gets to it and you keep it in a dark place then it will keep for years.

Look on youtube there are 100s of videos on dehydrating and storing.
Cheers Kizzie, looks tempting to me. I intend to bug out if things get hairy and if I had to do it for a while then any fruit and veg would spoil, not to mention bruised and battered along the way. I like this idea as it would last longer, take up less space with it shrinking, and it would also be lighter if I end up having to hike around with full kit in my rucksack. Plus I intend to bury a few caches around for back up and I was trying to think of some long life food I could potentially put in so I could just leave it buried for a while without having to dig up too often if nothing happened, so it could be worth thinking about.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Been watching this on youtube.. Might be a idea for those who dont want to spend out on a dehydrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5s93ZIuvo

Also how he makes Pemmican. He says it last 20 odd years. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy6MtJEkxAQ
kevc

Post by kevc »

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll have to get ahold of a dehydrator. I do have a vacuum packer so that should help longevity.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Thanks that looks like a DIY project that I can do though I did use the car in the summer and it worked a treat :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Well the carrots I dehydrated this summer from the allotment have just been used. My daughter had been munching on them dried for a snack so I didn't have all that much left but I soaked them in a bowl of boiled water for 20 mins then added them and the water which was now stock, to a one pot bacon and chicken thing I was making. It works! They cooked fine and tasted fine too. I will buy lots of bags when I see them reduced in the supermarket now, dehydrate them and then that's one prep done! (Until I grow more next year, but at least now I know I can grow far more than I need as they dehydrate well!)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)