What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Arzosah »

What I came on here to ask :oops: is about cleaning the shelves. I did a couple of things at the beginning of this month, but then needed some down time, and I didn't clean the shelves before I did it. So now they need a really proper clean.

What do people use? Because these shelves have residue of dried banana stuck on, and they need a good soak. And cleaning tends to be quite far down the list of priorities for me anyway :oops: things are hygienic where they need to be, rather than spotless everywhere.

I'd still like the feedback on this, but I've reached my own answer. I was thinking of using a bleached cat litter tray to let the trays soak in, as I really hate buying anything when I could re-purpose something I already have. But maybe I just need to bite the bullet on this one. Normal washing up bowl doesn't do it. Should I buy a new cat litter tray? :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'll be giving the nettles a go this year, got a couple of empty Kilner's and an abundant supply to fill them with. :D
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:What I came on here to ask :oops: is about cleaning the shelves. I did a couple of things at the beginning of this month, but then needed some down time, and I didn't clean the shelves before I did it. So now they need a really proper clean.

What do people use? Because these shelves have residue of dried banana stuck on, and they need a good soak. And cleaning tends to be quite far down the list of priorities for me anyway :oops: things are hygienic where they need to be, rather than spotless everywhere.

I'd still like the feedback on this, but I've reached my own answer. I was thinking of using a bleached cat litter tray to let the trays soak in, as I really hate buying anything when I could re-purpose something I already have. But maybe I just need to bite the bullet on this one. Normal washing up bowl doesn't do it. Should I buy a new cat litter tray? :lol:
Will they fit in the sink? just fill that with bleachy water and away you go. :P
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I just do mine in the sink, leave them to steep if need be.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

:oops: the sink could do with a good clean anyway, I suppose :roll: :idea:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm finally caught up with topping off the dehydrated stores. Onions, Peppers and Salad Potatoes are done and I finally got to Heron foods as they do packs of frozen mixed veg with chopped carrot that dehydrate really well :) It's great to add to rice for homemade savoury rice. I do take out the broad beans though as they take longer than everything else. :oops: I'm going to start the storage side again now.
Oh and I dehydrated some Blueberries... they are the bits added to porridge and meusli. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

Deeps wrote:
Rebel Prepping wrote:I am dehydrating nettles. They have 3 advantages over any other kind of dehydrated food. Firstly they are free and grow everywhere. Secondly they are one of the most nutritious plants on earth, far more nutritious than most of the plants we regularly eat as part of our diet.Because of this they have medicinal properties and can be used to combat colds and flu. Thirdly they are tasty but also versatile. They can be brewed into tea and make a very good tasting and nutritious tea, or be used in a soup, as a garnish, or in a salad. Everyone should be preserving at least a jar of this stuff.
Good shout, are you blanching it first ?
No i just dry them as they are using air drying, just hang them up for a week or so. Then as i usually add them to a soup or tea the heat kills the stings anyways. Just note that you should add nettles to boiling water as it will destroy a lot of the nutritional content such as vitamin C and some of the B vitamins, Boil the water for purity then allow it cool down for a few minutes.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Rebel Prepping wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Rebel Prepping wrote:I am dehydrating nettles. They have 3 advantages over any other kind of dehydrated food. Firstly they are free and grow everywhere. Secondly they are one of the most nutritious plants on earth, far more nutritious than most of the plants we regularly eat as part of our diet.Because of this they have medicinal properties and can be used to combat colds and flu. Thirdly they are tasty but also versatile. They can be brewed into tea and make a very good tasting and nutritious tea, or be used in a soup, as a garnish, or in a salad. Everyone should be preserving at least a jar of this stuff.
Good shout, are you blanching it first ?
No i just dry them as they are using air drying, just hang them up for a week or so. Then as i usually add them to a soup or tea the heat kills the stings anyways. Just note that you should add nettles to boiling water as it will destroy a lot of the nutritional content such as vitamin C and some of the B vitamins, Boil the water for purity then allow it cool down for a few minutes.
Thanks mate, I'll have a play.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Bit of an experiment today. I got a bag of spinach so have wilted it and now in the dehydrator.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm Bit of an experiment today. I got a bag of spinach so have wilted it and now in the dehydrator.
Let us know how it goes.

I've made a big batch of bolognese so I'll get a couple of portions dehydrated to replenish my hill walking scran, its running low.