What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I did 15 eggs between 2 trays, clearly mine must have been too thick, the sheets turned into a sort of shallow bowl, I figure I'd be better off using small baking trays lined with grease proof? As with everything it was an experiment but it was on for 24 hours, if I could cut that by two thirds by using a more suited tray I'd be on a winner :)
I'm going to try a meal one of these days like a chilli.
If you're doing a chilli or bolognese cut up the veg quite small so it dries quicker mate.
Good tip what about them kidney beans, cut em, squash, em?
I just left the kidney beans as they were, they shrunk right down too. I broke the dehydrated stuff down by hand but you do need to think about how you'll bag it, its quite sharp in places, I ended up triple bagging it in the strips for the vac sealer, 2 small ones (unvac'd) as 'armour' and then a larger outer that was vac sealed. Maybe mylar is better, I've not tried it. Let us know how you go mate.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: its quite sharp in places, I ended up triple bagging it in the strips for the vac sealer, 2 small ones (unvac'd) as 'armour' and then a larger outer that was vac sealed.
That hard tack I made has a sharp bit somewhere, it's pierced the bag twice now, the second one I just put on top of the first, mind you that vac sealer is serious!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Taste test:

1 Tbsp Egg to 2 Tbsp Water.

Mixed, slightly grainy upon pouring, not noticeable during eating. A bit rubbery but tasted better than I was expecting.

A keeper.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
shocker

Post by shocker »

15 eggs...24 hours...1.6 hours per egg ? Is that right?

No particular reason, other than horrifying my old mum. She claims to have nightmares about wartime ration powdered egg...so a like to give her a gentle windup about it - the more pettyfogging detail, the better ! :shock: :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

shocker wrote:15 eggs...24 hours...1.6 hours per egg ? Is that right?

No particular reason, other than horrifying my old mum. She claims to have nightmares about wartime ration powdered egg...so a like to give her a gentle windup about it - the more pettyfogging detail, the better ! :shock: :lol:

I used the raw method from here:

http://www.backcountrypaleo.com/egg-cel ... ated-eggs/

5 hours.

HTH
shocker

Post by shocker »

Dont get me wrong mate, Im seriously impressed - Ive seen how expensive powdered eggs are to buy. Bloody expensive :shock:

I wish I could do some myself but I have jobs stacking up that need doing first, plus Im on a "one in/one out" routine since Ive filled the flat with prep gear. I have to get rid of something to get something new, so no dehydrator at the mo, homebuilt or bought. I have even had to put the microwave in the car! :roll:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

pseudonym wrote:
shocker wrote:15 eggs...24 hours...1.6 hours per egg ? Is that right?

I used the raw method from here:

http://www.backcountrypaleo.com/egg-cel ... ated-eggs/

5 hours.

HTH
Looking at that i reckon I should use the Excalibur sheets without the bulldog clips and just pour some directly onto it, my issue was it pooled up, whereas I could have put a thin layer on all 9 trays and been done quicker, it'll be next week before I get any more eggs to play with, and I am going to have to level the dehydrator on the shelf it's sitting on, but i'm confident I can do it quicker now thanks Pseudonym perhaps I should do it and a chilli on the same day :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I just poured it onto waxed parchment paper like in the link. I weighed down the paper with some cutlery to stop it flapping :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Dehydrated Mince, tomatoes, mushrooms and celery:

All over a year old, not sealed in anything other than a zip lock bag.

Tasted fine, took 15 mins on a simmer and a further 10 mins to rehydrate properly.

Experiment a success, now to go into mass production :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Dehydrated Mince, tomatoes, mushrooms and celery:

All over a year old, not sealed in anything other than a zip lock bag.

Tasted fine, took 15 mins on a simmer and a further 10 mins to rehydrate properly.

Experiment a success, now to go into mass production :lol:
I've found that the dehydrated stuff takes longer than the 'off the shelf' freeze dried stuff to become reconstituted so I guess it comes down to your priorities. Enjoy doing stuff that suits my palate though, I like a lot of chilli and garlic so cater to that. Its a guilty pleasure of mine doing the meals, I really don't get why I enjoy it so much.