What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
redskies

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by redskies »

We've just used minced beef to make jerky 'cakes' - they're pretty good!

Just got a nice big bag of beef bones, which are destined to end up as dehydrated stock, and after sixty days, the venison pack from the local estate is getting turned into jerky.

Youngest has started raiding the two minute rice, mince, powdered toms & garlic etc for her lunches, so going to have to do a load of those too! I'm also wanting some mushroom powder; it's amazing how much nutrition you can sneak into a picky eater if you use powdered foods :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:Because its Quorn too it might be a bit meh, all part of the fun I suppose. I'll report back how I get on.
Have you tried that dried soya mince? TVP they call it, it's possible that's all Quorn is,
Not exactly.
Quorn is mostly a mycoprotein derived from a fungus, TVP is made from Soya..... I'll stop being such a nerd now :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Not exactly.
Quorn is mostly a mycoprotein derived from a fungus, TVP is made from Soya..... I'll stop being such a nerd now

You could probably tell the difference which I'd eaten by the tone and duration of my flatulence, I tried both at some point but can't remember anything spectacular about Quorn or it's effects TBH. Its a shame really I'd like in some ways to eat less ( never no) meat especially beef after watching before the flood, but I cannot use that stuff very often.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Deeps wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I have to go easy on that soya mince, same with beans and the like these days it gives me trapped wind like you wouldn't believe :shock: was a time when it went through and came out a bit like a brass band painlessly... for me, not now though.
That's a beautiful story. :lol:

My innards are neither up nor down with the veggie stuff, I do eat a fair bit of Quorn, also paneer which is good stuff.

TVP is OK if you get the flavoured type otherwise it's vile stuff, paneer is lovely stuff 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Decaff wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I have to go easy on that soya mince, same with beans and the like these days it gives me trapped wind like you wouldn't believe :shock: was a time when it went through and came out a bit like a brass band painlessly... for me, not now though.
That's a beautiful story. :lol:

My innards are neither up nor down with the veggie stuff, I do eat a fair bit of Quorn, also paneer which is good stuff.

TVP is OK if you get the flavoured type otherwise it's vile stuff, paneer is lovely stuff 8-)
Had some tonight as it happens. We saw some for a quid a packet, when we make it ourselves we can't do it that cheaply. :o Although I say it myself I can knock up a pretty decent curry sauce from scratch so we lived like kings, well, Raj's. 8-) Got another couple of packets in the fridge so I guess we'll be smashing the curry's in. I can live with that. :D

Meant to put some old mushrooms on the dehydrator today but as Her Maj is on a week off my routine is all over the place so hopefully tomorrow.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Ooh I am the same with soya mince :o Only tried it the once, tootled like Dizzy Gillespie with every step for days! :oops: Am fine with legumes and other soya products (love edamame and tofu!). Am also fine with Quorn though my sister suffers that one. Incidentally I loved the original Quorn adverts, whoever came up with "made from a tiny relative of the mushroom" was a genius as Quorn in grown in vats...like commercial pond slime!

Just catching up on this giant thread as I'm getting a dehydrator for Christmas!! :D Very excited! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Ooh I am the same with soya mince :o Only tried it the once, tootled like Dizzy Gillespie with every step for days! :oops: Am fine with legumes and other soya products (love edamame and tofu!). Am also fine with Quorn though my sister suffers that one. Incidentally I loved the original Quorn adverts, whoever came up with "made from a tiny relative of the mushroom" was a genius as Quorn in grown in vats...like commercial pond slime!

Just catching up on this giant thread as I'm getting a dehydrator for Christmas!! :D Very excited! :D
They're great things, I'm not sure why but I take great pleasure in 'playing' with the dehydrator, you'll need plenty of storage jars if you get into it. Let us know how you get on with it
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Deeps wrote:
pseudonym wrote:
I dehydrate my camping meals also.

I dehydrate items separately, store in large kilner jars and just add the ingredients to a ziplock bag before I set off.
I've taken the dehydrated veg away before to add to packet pastas and the like, half a pepperoni chopped up and thrown in too. Partly by your mentioning it I've been having a nose into the DIY ones, I used to grudgingly spend a fortune on them back in the day so out of curiosity as much as practical reasons I thought I'd have a shot at doing them. The one I've got going now looks like its coming along but as I said, the veg is in bigger chunks than I'd have liked but it will give me a better idea. I'll hydrate it fairly soon after it comes out to see how 'good' it is. Because its Quorn too it might be a bit meh, all part of the fun I suppose. I'll report back how I get on.[/quote]

I had my dehydrated Chilli for lunch to see how it went. Flavour wise it was pretty good (needed more chilli but I knew that, it was for Her Maj too) so the Quorn mince wasn't an issue. It was a bit 'crunchy' in places where I could have broken it up a bit more and I'll deliberately cut the veg smaller for the next batch It took about 350ml of hot water to bring it back to life but its all rough measurements. All in all, I'm calling it a win, I'm pleased with how it went. I've made another wok full this week and have another go at doing a couple of portions. :D

Looks like the vac sealer has leap frogged the radios. :P
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Nice one.

Good to know the Quorn worked well
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep, I'll give the quorn a go too.

I've got some peppers and stew veg going at the moment that were in need of using up. Always handy to have.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon