What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
CynicalSurvival

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by CynicalSurvival »

I've been drying a lot of herbs and things for tea- recently nettles, now mint.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Mushrooms just finished. :geek:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Mushrooms just finished. :geek:
Its addictive, isn't it ? I've been lazy the last week or so but need to get the beastie flashed up, did a big veg shop at the weekend so bound to have extras that will get the treatment.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

It's been so hot in chez Decaff that I've not done any preserving at all... my list is getting longer by the week but a few cooler days are required! It was 37 in my car this afternoon, did I mention the air con broke??? Should be fixed on Friday at a cost of £300 or thereabouts :(

I hate summer. :evil:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Courgettes are coming thick and fast from the Lottie, I dehydrated three trays after grating them, great for soups and sauces in the winter. Will add to the jar as they come in.

Today will be more potatoes, I have lots of those too so into the trays they will go!

Quick Lottie Update.

Tomatoes are going to give a huge crop also, both Roma and Money Maker are covered with fruits! Roma will be canned up for later use.

Onions are waiting to be tied into strings and hung in the shed, both pumpkin plants have pumpkins swelling but nothing yet on the butternut squash :(

Peppers are flowering and starting to form peppers at last, garlic still going strong, carrots looking very "what's up doc" with lush frilly fronds, still pulling up radishes by the handful, spring onions galore, rocket almost ready to pick leaves from. The iceberg lettuce isn't doing great, it's very slow to get going so not sure we will actually get any. Webb's wonderful were delicious though.

Shed is now completed and Mr D delighted that he's built a great man cave, I mean storage shed :lol:

Mr D has been digging up the Brambles roots, boy are they a nightmare to deal with.

Got more seed potatoes chitting, they will go in this afternoon and will be ready in time for crimbo dinner!

I'm as brown as a coffee bean and getting fitter from all the digging and stretching exercise.

I'm already planning the plot for next year's growing!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
bobble

Post by bobble »

I'm drying herbs and peas. I made a diy dryer from an old aquarium which i put by a sunny window. Very basic but it works ok.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Flavoured courgette chips. Nom nom nom. :mrgreen:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

pseudonym wrote:Flavoured courgette chips. Nom nom nom. :mrgreen:

That sounds interesting! What do you flavour with and how do you do it??

I have another couple of trays of courgettes on the go as they are being very prolific at the moment, these ones are slices rather than shredded.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Decaff wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Flavoured courgette chips. Nom nom nom. :mrgreen:

That sounds interesting! What do you flavour with and how do you do it??

I have another couple of trays of courgettes on the go as they are being very prolific at the moment, these ones are slices rather than shredded.

Slice into rounds, you can brush with oil then add your flavour.

I skip the oil, just add flavours:

Garlic powder
Tabasco
Worchester sauce
Dried Mint

to name a few... :lol:

place on trays and dehydrate.

As I do batches for camping, I run my Excalibur for a 12 - 14 hr cycle, depending on thickness of round/chip.

HTH
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Of course I could of just posted a link: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_vohwQwKNs