Can you keep chickens and rabbits in uk cities?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
londonercsecse

Can you keep chickens and rabbits in uk cities?

Post by londonercsecse »

Any law, legistlation against it? Thx
jansman

Re: Can you keep chickens and rabbits in uk cities?

Post by jansman »

All depends on local byelaws. Or tenancy agreements.
Generally though, it is not illegal. Just ask your local council, or landlord if you rent.

Main thing is, if you keep stock-keep 'em clean and smell-free. Keep the neighbours sweet! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Someone in the street behind ours has geese! :shock: :lol: They're quite loud! And it's quite urban here so I can't imagine why you wouldn't be allowed chickens or rabbits.

Some allotment sites allow chickens if you can't have them in your own garden.
moocher

Post by moocher »

Depends some houses have it on the deeds,some social housing won't let you keep chickens,
Couple of hens can be kept easily as they only make a noise really ,when startled or laid an egg.
Small bantams like seramas dutch or pekins could be kept indoors at a push.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

It depends on the number of chickens you keep as well. I think the number is 5 so they are deemed pets rather than livestock.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Beards-beat-guns

Post by Beards-beat-guns »

Nit sure about the legality but listen to the us podcast in the rabbit hole they cover urban farming and its a really good show
BEARDS-BEAT-GUNS

Archer, scavenger, practical prepper who's happy to help.
junmist

Post by junmist »

the only thing to stop you keeping rabbits is if you are renting and have a no pet's contract. I am gathering you are thinking of keeping them for meat so you will need to contact you council if you are killing them yourself or find your local abattoir. As for chickens a few eggs to the neighbours every now and again wouldn't go amiss ;)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
maverick71

Post by maverick71 »

There is no general rules preventing having rabbits or chickens maybe only local ones as outlined above. Over a certain amount of birds you do have to register them with MAFF or whatever they are called now but the figure would be way above most "household" levels of chickens.

I went to an introductory course on chicken keeping at local garden center who also sell chickens, they are very helpful and could offer advice on local regs if you have one close as long as you don't get the hard sell lol.

Still have to get the chickens and its something i want to do, but we do have rabbits and a a precaution against complaining neighbors and we know they would we keep a log book of cleaning cycle for the rabbits and will do the same with Chickens, if looked after and tended well they don't smell.