The home brew thread

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
2ndRateMind

The home brew thread

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Pleased to report that the first gallon of this year's blackberry is now cuddled up in it's demijohn, and fermenting away steadily. At, say, £3.00 a gallon, or less than £1.00 a bottle even allowing for depreciation of equipment, it warms the cockles of my heart. I tasted it yesterday, and though it was still sickly sweet with the added sugar, the astringency of the blackberries came through nicely. I wasn't getting 'pebbles in the rain', or 'tones of new mown hay' or even 'hints of sun-dappled leaves', but I am getting duty and VAT free alcohol, to learn a skill, a few days oblivion when SHTF, cheap Christmas presents, and a sense of achievement. I can't recommend the hobby enough. I know some of you already do this home brew thing, though, so I thought a thread to encourage everyone else might be good. It really isn't difficult, so long as you keep your brewing kit spotlessly clean. And you can spend the money you save on serious prepping kit, like water filters, sausage-making machines, branded tools or livestock.

Cheers (hic) 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
Cocotte

Re: The home brew thread

Post by Cocotte »

Nice, I was hoping to have a go at making sloe gin this year as Xmas gifts since it's now back in fashion.
My first beers came out very tasty but didn't get the carbonation right so a bit flat (but made the best shandy I've had).
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Sloe gin, huh. Like, I just love sloe gin! I made some up two years ago (the council obligingly planted blackthorn in the hedge around my block of flats), and it was too good not to drink the whole 2l in a sitting. Last year I missed, due to being away at the first frost, but I hope to make up a gallon or so this year. I have heard that it improves with age; though what that improvement might be I can't guess, and will probably never own the willpower to discover!

Cheers, 2RM.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Used to make wine beet root was my fav when I was a teenager unfortunately all my equipment was sold or thrown think its about time I started again
Have to trawl eBay
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Used to make wine beet root was my fav when I was a teenager unfortunately all my equipment was sold or thrown think its about time I started again
Have to trawl eBay
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you want good, solid brewing equipment then Wilkinsons is as good as any, and they are online too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I've got Wild Cherry Brandy doing it's thing in a Kilner jar in my cupboard, what with the area round about being covered in cherry trees. Seems the local kids have finally cottoned on to the joys of blackberries, so blackberry vodka probably won't happen. However, I'm prepared to fight for the sloes down the road for sloe gin!

I'm not much of a beer or wine drinker, but I'm thinking about trying elderflower champagne next year. I could try elderBERRY wine this year, but I've run out of time to get all the gear in place.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Yes, elderberries are ripe just about now, where I am. I haven't found a good supply locally, far enough from roads to be free from exhaust pollution, but I will keep looking as I wander.

Meanwhile, this is a good read. I've met Andy Hamilton, and he was kind enough to sign my copy.

Cheers, 2RM
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am off out with the dog in the morning and I will snag a load of elderberries. They are nice and ripe up the lane here. I will knock out a gallon or three. The best Winter beverage I think.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Made my very first wine years ago now , blackberry and I used a gallon whisky bottle to ferment it in. The opening is just the same size as a demijohn. In my time I've made wines from fruits, flowers and root vegatables but often come back to apple and blackberry. Currently I have some plum and cherry wines on the go and a few other DJ's clearing.
When we moved house some years ago I ended up with several dozen bottles without labels and seven DJ's also unlabelled but twas fun trying to figure out what was what :D