Ex Archive: Bread and Alternatives

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Carrot Cruncher

Ex Archive: Bread and Alternatives

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

bread and alternative
by preppingsu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Now this may be a really daft question but here goes (and I will take all ribbing on the chin! )
If there is no power and we used up our supply of bread (from within the freezer too) what alternative could I make/use?
I have a camp cooker.
My children eat lots of bread and I don't mind as it bulks them up but I wouldn't want to be without something like this.
Thanks
preppingsu

--------------------------------------

Re: bread and alternative
by biller » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi preppingsu

don't worry about not having a oven use your biggest pot in the bottom put 3 or 4 pebbles, marbles nuts as in metal then a metal plat or pie dish if the plate is off the base of the pot the heat will radiate dutch oven style
my favorite is bannock bread backed instead of fried

Indian Flat Bread (Chapatis) (Makes 10)

Combine:
2 C whole wheat flour
1 t oil
Pinch of salt
Gradually add
½ c. (or more) lukewarm water
Knead dough until it is soft. Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rest 1 hour.
Divide dough into 10 pieces. On floured surface, roll each piece into a 4 inch circle.
¼-inch thick. Heat a heavy ungreased frypan. Cook each Chapati until it starts to
bubble on the bottom, turn, fry on the other side, and remove. Stack in a tea
towel to keep warm.
Variations: use white flour for half the whole wheat flour.

Flour tortillas (makes 10)
(Note: this recipe doesn’t “work” for me – it makes something that tastes like pie
crust, not a tortilla. But it is a good tasting pie crust!)
Combine
2 C flour
1 t salt
Cut in with a pastry blender (or two knives)
¼ C shortening (oil?)
When particles are fine, add gradually
½ C lukewarm water
Toss with a fork to make a stiff dough. Form into ball and knead thoroughly on a
lightly floured board until smooth and flecked with air bubbles. Divide dough into
8 balls for large tortillas, 11 balls for small ones. Roll as thin as possible on lightly
floured board or between two sheets of waxed paper. Drop onto a very hot griddle
or frying pan. Bake about 20 seconds until freckled. Life edge, turn, and bake on
second side. Wrap in a clean tea towel (cloth napkin or towel) to keep warm.

Kentucky Cornbread (Serves 4)
350 degrees for 30 minutes
Mix together to cake batter consistency:
1 C flour
1 C cornmeal
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
¼ t salt
1 ½ C milk (use powdered plus water)
Pour into a greased 8 x8 inch pan or a greased muffin tin. Bake 30 minutes; serve
warm.

Corn Bread or Corn Muffins
1 C Cornmeal
1 C white flour
4 t baking powder
¼ C sugar
1 t salt
2 eggs (reconstituted from powdered)
1 C milk ( use powdered)
¼ C melted butter (or canola oil)
Mix flour with sugar, baking powder and salt, stir in cornmeal. Beat eggs; add milk
and butter or oil. Combine with rest of ingredients, stirring a little bit until all
ingredients are moist. Don’t mix too much. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch
pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
For muffins, pour into well-greased muffin pan, bake in hot oven 425 degrees F for
15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins,

Bannock bread
3 metal mugs of flour
2 metal mugs of milk powder
1 of baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 metal mug of water
+ nuts/berries/etc
Olive oil.
One large pan/cooking pot.
Method:
Firstly get a good campfire established, ideally a bed of hot embers with no flame.
Put a little olive oil in your frying pan/cooking pot and place on the embers to heat up.
Add a cup of water to your dry ingredients and mix well together. (Being in a ziplock bag saves you having to carry a mixing bowl.)
Add your seasonal fruits/nuts/berries. (June is the best month to find the sweetest wild strawberries along the woodland path).
Once everything is mixed together, flatten the dumpling-like creation and place on the hot oil. (I find that it is important that the thickness of the bread is an inch and no more: anything thicker and it will end up being uncooked inside and very burnt on the outside.)
Fry the bread for about 7 minutes on each side until golden.
Once cooked, break the bread with your hands, but watch out as the bread will be very hot.
And finally, don’t be tempted to use a knife to cut the bread as this will bring bad luck

Basic Muffin Recipe (makes 8 large or 12 small)
3 T canola oil plus some for greasing the muffin tin
2 C flour
¼ C sugar
½ t salt
3 t baking powder
1 egg (use powdered)
1 C milk (use powdered)
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat egg, milk and oil. Make a well in the center of
the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Using a large spoon, combine the
ingredients quickly; do not mix too hard; stop as soon as the dry ingredients are
moist. Batter should be lumpy and moist.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins, filling about 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 30 minutes at
400 degrees F.
Additions: add ½ C chopped dried fruit or nuts or chocolate chips; substitute
honey or maple syrup for the sugar; different spices such as ground cinnamon,
allspice nutmeg, mace, and ginger. Or cut back the sugar to just 1 T and minced
up to 1 C cooked bacon, ham, or shredded cheese. Use whole wheat flour for up
to half of the regular flour. Sprinkle tops of unbaked muffins with some sugar,

---------------------------------

by Brambling » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Get yourself a flat griddle. Oatcakes and scones can both be cooked on a griddle, as can crumpets, pikelets and English muffins. Then there's Welsh cakes if you fancy something sweet.
Oh and not forgetting bread on a stick, you can add dried fruit and spices if you like.
2 cups flour
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp dry milk
2 Tbsp flax seed

Mix with about 1 cup of cold water and knead into a stiff dough. Divide in half and wrap around two sticks. Toast like marshmallows. These are done when the bread can be easily pulled off the sticks. Fill the inside with jam etc, or split open for a less messy method.
HTH

-------------------------------

by magz-1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 pm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... -Oven.aspx
preppingsu

Re: Ex Archive: Bread and Alternatives

Post by preppingsu »

Can I just say the Indian Flat breads went down very well with my kids, although next time I will make with half wholewheat/half white flour. Very easy to make and quick to cook, very little equipment needed.
Carrot Cruncher

I could live quite happily for the rest of my life on bread and stew. Been getting adventurous lately (for me anyway) and trying all sorts of breads lately. Made some Soda Bread last week, it took 30 minutes from opening the cupboard door to get the ingredients to taking the first bite :D
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

If you check out this webpage it has a number of survival manuals to download one of which is emergency and outdoor bread.

http://patriotresistance.com/MANUALS.html
Carrot Cruncher

Thanks Lisa, I've just downloaded the bread one...that looks an interesting site
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

Your welcome

Ive just downloaded the urban survival one :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/u ... index.html

I make these often. And eat far too many. :mrgreen:
Carrot Cruncher