Whey Protein, prepper food?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
metatron

Whey Protein, prepper food?

Post by metatron »

So I've been using protein shakes as a food supplement for a few years helping to build muscle and have been mostly using Optimum Nutrition gold standard 100% whey, as when you mix it with skimmed milk it tastes quite nice. I recently bought some Pro-10 unflavoured whey protein to try it, as it was so cheap, £10 per KG, I've been mixing it with a banana and skimmed milk and its quite nice, but it could be added to anything.

Being that long term storage of good sources of protein can be tricky, it seems to me that as it can be stored for years it would make a good source of protein, in a world were getting access to meat, fish, eggs and even milk becomes harder access.
scoobie

Re: Whey Protein, prepper food?

Post by scoobie »

If anyone is going to do this, just find one you can stomach, and one which mixes well with water instead of milk.

I've been through about a dozen different brands, currently using sci-mx strawberry..

Good idea though :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
seboss

Post by seboss »

I've always got a 5KG bag of unflavoured whey from myprotein.com. Only costs around £36 and the quality is just as good as the rest (i've done a couple of natural bodybuilding shows and worked in a gym for three years :). Its a great addition to the food preps. I also keep a few boxes of ready break as it assimilates well with the protein and water, tastes boring but that with a fish oil capsule or two and you've got a pretty sustainable meal for next to nothing that will last. Even throw down a multi-vitamin forgood measure ;)
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

Another vote for myprotein.com.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/im ... ey_protein currently £41.49 for 5kg (£8.30/kg) Also they do vitamin C and a multi vit in powdered form, could be handy to make meals from storage a little bit more nutritious.

Edit:
I like to mix it with water, being unflavoured I add a banana some honey, and whatever flavour I fancy. e.g make a cup of coffee and use it in place of the water or throw in some cocoa for chocolate flavour.

They also do powdered fibre which could be handy to fill in a gap in stored preps, or just make yourself fill fuller (need to drink plenty of water for this tho)
Delightful

Post by Delightful »

Another myprotein fan here.
The unflavoured impact whey protein mixes well in water. I also use it in place of milk in coffee as I hate shakes. The psyllium husks (fibre) are like drinking dandruff but do the job. I also have superveg XS. The last two are mainly for when I'm away for a few days and don't know what I'll be able to eat so I keep some mixed together in a tupperware and supplement fibre/vits with it.

Making my protein coffee this morning I was thinking that having 100+ 20g servings of protein in the house is pretty useful. It doesn't take up much space so I might get more.
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

I have been meaning to make my own protein flapjacks as well, haven't quite got around to this yet.

I wonder how well a vacuum sealer would cope? pre mix a few portions and seal em up. A vacuumed bag would be smaller than a tub. You could probably fit a fair few portions inside a shaker that way.
Delightful

Post by Delightful »

maddriver wrote:I have been meaning to make my own protein flapjacks as well, haven't quite got around to this yet.

I wonder how well a vacuum sealer would cope? pre mix a few portions and seal em up. A vacuumed bag would be smaller than a tub. You could probably fit a fair few portions inside a shaker that way.
Vacuum pack the powder or the flapjack? I don't know how well the flapjack would do/taste but it is a good idea. Put the powder in a paper bag or sandwich bag with a few tiny holes then seal that inside a second bag. I like the paper bag idea best cause after you eat the powder you have some loo roll!
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

Delightful wrote:
maddriver wrote:I have been meaning to make my own protein flapjacks as well, haven't quite got around to this yet.

Vacuum pack the powder or the flapjack? I don't know how well the flapjack would do/taste but it is a good idea. Put the powder in a paper bag or sandwich bag with a few tiny holes then seal that inside a second bag. I like the paper bag idea best cause after you eat the powder you have some loo roll!
Vacuum Pack the powder, I was wondering if the vacuum would suck the powder out. Hadn't thought of double bagging, should work that way.
metatron

Post by metatron »

maddriver wrote:Another vote for myprotein.com.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/im ... ey_protein currently £41.49 for 5kg (£8.30/kg) Also they do vitamin C and a multi vit in powdered form, could be handy to make meals from storage a little bit more nutritious.

Edit:
I like to mix it with water, being unflavoured I add a banana some honey, and whatever flavour I fancy. e.g make a cup of coffee and use it in place of the water or throw in some cocoa for chocolate flavour.

They also do powdered fibre which could be handy to fill in a gap in stored preps, or just make yourself fill fuller (need to drink plenty of water for this tho)
Thanks, I'll try that site out, I tend to buy from a local shop but at that price its a must.
jansman

Post by jansman »

maddriver wrote:
Delightful wrote:

Vacuum Pack the powder, I was wondering if the vacuum would suck the powder out. Hadn't thought of double bagging, should work that way.
It should't suck the powder out- we vac pac dry ingredients regularly at work in an industrial vac packer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.