Offering soya beans to grow.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
smileyt

Offering soya beans to grow.

Post by smileyt »

Hi folks,

I have been sorting through my seeds and have found a packet of soya beans (var 'Elena') that I bought a couple of years ago. They are viable until August 2011 so need to be sown this coming summer. Does anyone want some? There are a couple of hundred beans in the packet so I could divvy them up. Send me a pm if you're interested.

They need warmed-up soil. Sow late May/early June. Self-pollinating. Sow 6 inches apart, one inch deep. Rows spaced 18 inches apart. Water well as pods are setting.

I'll not use all the seeds myself, hence why I'm offering some to fellow preppers. Would be interesting to compare and contrast yields from different parts of the country. It doesn't say they are an F1 variety so I'm assuming they're not.
Magz

Re: Offering soya beans to grow.

Post by Magz »

They would be waisted on me at the moment, you should sprout some, very good for you, let them get to about an inch or 2 them eat them.
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

I'm not sure that seeds you get from seed merchants for gardening purposes are ok to sprout. These aren't organic so I have no way of knowing if they've been treated with an anti-fungal agent or anything like that. If I bought seeds from a health food shop I would sprout some.
Magz

Post by Magz »

smileyt wrote:I'm not sure that seeds you get from seed merchants for gardening purposes are ok to sprout. These aren't organic so I have no way of knowing if they've been treated with an anti-fungal agent or anything like that. If I bought seeds from a health food shop I would sprout some.
Indeed.
I should do it more often, but I really have to be in the mood to do healthy, when I was doing my Therapy course, I went on a right health kick, needed to, 7 diploma subjects 14 exams, first aid course, Bach flower remedies, had to learn the names of 36 essential oils, how they were made, what they did and their Latin names, and so much more! was a 1 year intensive course , Was doing my Reiki masters at same time, community health fairs once a month, volunteered 1 day a week for charity working with people with mental issues, 3 kids age 13 11 and a 5 lol I needed to be proper healthy! a typical dinner would be salad with maybe 10 different types of leaves half an Avocado pumkin and sunflower seeds with a dressing of all the omega oils lemon and sprouts, can't say I liked it but it did the trick I was super woman lol
Had a cup of coffee 1 morning was buzing for about half hour after :) for 1 year my body was a temple :D