Hemp Seed

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
silverrider

Hemp Seed

Post by silverrider »

With regard to food storage, does anybody buy/use/store hemp seed? Hemp is a wholefood, you can sustain yourself for quite a length of time with just hemp seed and water. Hemp has 3 unique nutritional factors. It has an ideal balance of Omega 3 and 6 oils for sustainable human health, it has a full amino acid spectrum meaning it provides complete protein, and it has a massive trace mineral content - truly one of nature's superfoods. It is claimed that 25lbs of hemp seed and enought water can sustain one (wo)man for 14 MONTHS, providing all the nutrition needed to stay healthy. You can even make hemp milk by blending them, and if you buy them unshelled, they will store for years. Hemp seed is a part of my food preperations.
Setfree

Re: Hemp Seed

Post by Setfree »

Mine too!
Ive been making Hemp milk and its fab and much much better for you than normal hormone riddled c***.
Only thing I havent worked out is how to make it in a SHTF situation as I use a blender to make it now
Any ideas? :)........
Technik

Post by Technik »

Thanks for that - so a trip to real foods tomorrow then ;)

What else can you do with it other than the milk? How can you use it's full potential?
silverrider

Post by silverrider »

Setfree wrote:Mine too!
Ive been making Hemp milk and its fab and much much better for you than normal hormone riddled c***.
Only thing I havent worked out is how to make it in a SHTF situation as I use a blender to make it now
Any ideas? :)........
Try this
http://www.ehow.com/how_5942255_shell-hemp-seeds.html
As for then making milk, i'm not sure, maybe put the seeds in water and use something like a potato masher? That or hooking your blender up to your bicycle somehow?

As my prepping has progressed, I have learnt a hell of a lot about food and nutrition.
Turns out hemp seed is one of the most nutritional and assimilatable foods on the planet.
Hemp does not require pesticides or fertilizer.
Hemp is 77% more nutritional if the seeds are sprouted, however this is illegal in most places! Go figure.
Only buy organic, and raw if you can (in the US all hemp seeds are sterilised upon entry so they are dead.)
silverrider

Post by silverrider »

Technik wrote:Thanks for that - so a trip to real foods tomorrow then ;)

What else can you do with it other than the milk? How can you use it's full potential?
Some recipes here:
http://www.hempseed.ca/hemp-recipes.ihtml

The seed can be eaten whole, blended with water to make milk
Manufaturers press the seed to extract the oil, which is about 30% of the weight. The rest (including the shell) is ground into a fine powder to make flour, which is added to bread recipes etc. It is ground fine enough so that the shells are no longer gritty.
I eat them as is (shells removed) and have made milk too, which is nice, has a nutty flavour, but not much else up to now to be honest. I have bought hemp oil too, which is nice drizzled on salad
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

wow this hemp sounds good is it the same stuff that anglers use? How expensive is it and can it be grown in the UK.
Technik

Post by Technik »

buttystella wrote:wow this hemp sounds good is it the same stuff that anglers use? How expensive is it and can it be grown in the UK.
http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/597/ ... ed-organic

And thanks for the recipes silver!
silverrider

Post by silverrider »

buttystella wrote:wow this hemp sounds good is it the same stuff that anglers use? How expensive is it and can it be grown in the UK.
Yes, not very, and yes it is, but you need a license from the Home Office, apparently :(
http://www.rawfoodideas.com/Hemp-Unique ... -Seed.html
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I put it in my bread.
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

thanks for the links s