What do you value most?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Bosworth
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Bosworth » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:52 pm

God. I’m almost ashamed to say that I am fairly comfortable with my stocks of food etc but twitchy about alcohol. Very first world of course but quality of life matters, particularly in a situation where it’s not the end of the world but you are hunkering down with some nervousness around supply chain etc.

A bit like storing pasta, where spaghetti and lasagne sheets are the king just because of storage density, I default to piles of crap wine in boxes. They stack and store nicely.

I managed to get a Tesco delivery this weeknwhich is great for the heavy stuff. Topped up my wine store to 40 boxes of 3L joy.

How long it lasts is a good question. But I can say, hand on heart, that these stocks are definitely rotated 😂

User avatar
jennyjj01
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: What do you value most?

Post by jennyjj01 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 am

Bosworth wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:52 pm
God. I’m almost ashamed to say that I am fairly comfortable with my stocks of food etc but twitchy about alcohol. Very first world of course but quality of life matters, particularly in a situation where it’s not the end of the world but you are hunkering down with some nervousness around supply chain etc.

A bit like storing pasta, where spaghetti and lasagne sheets are the king just because of storage density, I default to piles of crap wine in boxes. They stack and store nicely.

I managed to get a Tesco delivery this weeknwhich is great for the heavy stuff. Topped up my wine store to 40 boxes of 3L joy.

How long it lasts is a good question. But I can say, hand on heart, that these stocks are definitely rotated 😂
Lasagne and spaghetti for storage density. I thought it was just me.

I'm fairly comfortable with food stocks and have recently topped up with quality alcohol. Maybe not 120 Litres though. I store my alcohol mostly in kit form, so I have the potential for about 150 bottles of wine and much more of beer, plus something to keep me busy, making it..
I'm more concerned for my stock of liver donors, which is a bit low.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Free hug vouchers. Please take one and copy and redistribute as often as you like.
Redeemable on demand.

User avatar
diamond lil
Posts: 7707
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Scottish hills

Re: What do you value most?

Post by diamond lil » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am

Tea and milk :mrgreen:

Nurseandy
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:12 am

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Nurseandy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:42 am

120 l of wine? Sadly we er, "rotate" ours faster than we restock.

Trojanhorse
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Trojanhorse » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Probably coffee

User avatar
Medusa
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm
Location: UK

Re: What do you value most?

Post by Medusa » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Sorry, but tea again preferably my favourite brand. I currently have about a years supply in store.
Growing old disgracefully!

jansman
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What do you value most?

Post by jansman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:19 pm

Medusa wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm
Sorry, but tea again preferably my favourite brand. I currently have about a years supply in store.
We do carry a year’s supply! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
PreppingPingu
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire

Re: What do you value most?

Post by PreppingPingu » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:17 pm

If it was purely a luxury item then chocolate all the way :D But being practical, then I guess I'd have to go with the salt as I don't live near the sea so can't distil salt from sea water. You can find natural sugars in many fruits and veggies to satisfy my sweet tooth but salt for preserving etc (It also has non edible uses too.)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)

jansman
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What do you value most?

Post by jansman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 pm

PreppingPingu wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:17 pm
If it was purely a luxury item then chocolate all the way :D But being practical, then I guess I'd have to go with the salt as I don't live near the sea so can't distil salt from sea water. You can find natural sugars in many fruits and veggies to satisfy my sweet tooth but salt for preserving etc (It also has non edible uses too.)
You don’t have to be practical. I wouldn’t want to face the day without a ( few) cups of tea! I could live without it...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
PreppingPingu
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire

Re: What do you value most?

Post by PreppingPingu » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 pm

jansman wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 pm

You don’t have to be practical. I wouldn’t want to face the day without a ( few) cups of tea! I could live without it...
Well then, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, oh and possibly a bit of chocolate too!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)

Post Reply