Shops selling off Covid surplus?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

Shops selling off Covid surplus?

Post by PreppingPingu »

In another post I said that our big Sainsbury was selling off large 16k bakers bags of plain flour for £3. (Theses had been specifically shopped in during the Covid flour shortage.) Well, today in our Tesco express, they had 500g bags of pasta reduced to 37pence. Later that day at The Range, I saw massive amounts of decent quality 9packs of loo roll at £2.99. I am thinking that shops are getting shot of their surplus "panic buying Covid stock" to make room for Christmas stock that is coming into stockrooms across the country atm. So keep your eyes peeled as there are bargains to be had.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arzosah

Re: Shops selling off Covid surplus?

Post by Arzosah »

That makes sense ... I was ever so jealous of your 16kg for £3! I've been trying not to think about it, in fact :mrgreen:
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 am That makes sense ... I was ever so jealous of your 16kg for £3! I've been trying not to think about it, in fact :mrgreen:
Me too. I looked again in Sainsbury's today in case they had found one in the back :D
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

What was the expiry date for that flour? Currently lidl flour at April 21. Personally go for longer life over price
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm What was the expiry date for that flour? Currently lidl flour at April 21. Personally go for longer life over price
I've just bought 2 x 16kg sacks online and it came with an expiry of 10/02/21. Not happy and trying to return it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm What was the expiry date for that flour? Currently lidl flour at April 21. Personally go for longer life over price
I've just bought 2 x 16kg sacks online and it came with an expiry of 10/02/21. Not happy and trying to return it.
Its in date code.Your statutory rights have not been infringed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I buy my flour from the local bakery, they buy theirs from the flour mill over the road so its about as fresh as you can get...... I don't think the mill sells to the public, and if they did it would probably be by the 25kgs sack.

I'm keeping an eye open for random bulk sales, but haven't found any yet
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:15 pm Its in date code.Your statutory rights have not been infringed.
Maybe so but I have Consumer Rights which mean I can return an item bought online within 14 days from the date of delivery without giving a reason but I have contacted them to give one. It's bad business and if they are looking for repeat orders its not going to happen with short dated stock like that. Lesson learned I will wait for the flour to come available at my usual mill.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:15 pm Its in date code.Your statutory rights have not been infringed.
Maybe so but I have Consumer Rights which mean I can return an item bought online within 14 days from the date of delivery without giving a reason but I have contacted them to give one. It's bad business and if they are looking for repeat orders its not going to happen with short dated stock like that. Lesson learned I will wait for the flour to come available at my usual mill.
The goods you can't return
Distance Selling Regulations (replaced by The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013) returns apply to most products, but there are some goods you can't return if you simply change your mind, including:

CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping
perishable and other items that deteriorate rapidly, such as food and flowers
tailor-made or personalised goods
underwear and earrings.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
daylen

Post by daylen »

Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm I've just bought 2 x 16kg sacks online and it came with an expiry of 10/02/21. Not happy and trying to return it.
Is that a particularly short date? I must admit, we use so much flour that although we have plenty of stock, we don't normally keep it for too long so never look at the best before date.