Best for tinned meat

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Re: Best for tinned meat

Post by diamond lil »

I'm a bit wary just now of cold meats, lots of covid outbreaks in meat plants so I think I'll stick to stuff that I can cook.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am Pek Pork currently on rollback £1 for 300g https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... k/75631112
Just popped into Asda and they had plenty of the big tins at £1. They haven't now :)

But I have not followed my own advice in that I've never tried it before.....
.... So I sampled it. From the can, Pek pork is quite lean and fills the tin well. A tiny bit of jelly. Raw from the can it's a pretty gross 'luncheon meat'
I flash fried a bit and made a warm pork sandwich with a slice of tomato. It was still gross, and definitely needed some reggae reggae sauce.

Conclusion: As a survival ration protein source for bleak times, It's worth having some in. BBE was way out at 2023. Not as good a bacon substitute as the bacon grill from ALDI.
Like corned beef, it will never be a staple until we get proper hungry..

I'm going to try a few ways of serving it and I would value serving suggestions.

Next to try some tinned chicken
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am
Dutch_Uncle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 am ASDA is worth keeping an eye on because the very often have the large tins of Pek chopped pork on for £1 as a "loss leader", though it's been it's normal price of double that all the way through lockdown.
Well spotted: currently on rollback £1 for 300g https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... k/75631112 Must add some to my order. I see the 170g tins are £1.38 and the stock of big tins is very low. Might speculatively 'allow substitutions' to see if I can get the small tins at big tin value.
Cheers, Jenny.
How's that for timing?!

Incidentally and anecdotally, I've been told that there are two main separate plants producing Pek chopped pork and if you're a fan of that delicious clear jelly coating it's imperative to check the tin to ensure it's been produced in Poland.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:27 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am Pek Pork currently on rollback £1 for 300g https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... k/75631112
Just popped into Asda and they had plenty of the big tins at £1. They haven't now :)

But I have not followed my own advice in that I've never tried it before.....
.... So I sampled it. From the can, Pek pork is quite lean and fills the tin well. A tiny bit of jelly. Raw from the can it's a pretty gross 'luncheon meat'
I flash fried a bit and made a warm pork sandwich with a slice of tomato. It was still gross, and definitely needed some reggae reggae sauce.

Conclusion: As a survival ration protein source for bleak times, It's worth having some in. BBE was way out at 2023. Not as good a bacon substitute as the bacon grill from ALDI.
Like corned beef, it will never be a staple until we get proper hungry..

I'm going to try a few ways of serving it and I would value serving suggestions.

Next to try some tinned chicken
To be fair,you either like tinned meat or you don't.As a lad, a tin of ham or luncheon meat was a treat on Sunday teatime.A year or two back ,I worked for a butcher with two grown up lads who did a bit of part time work; they were proper little spoilt kids ( 19 and 20!). Me and the manager,who was a bloke from my kind of background,joked with them about tinned luncheon meat,corned beef etc. They had never eaten such foods, and were literally horrified that we still ate,and enjoyed them! My kids wouldn't eat them either.

Corned beef makes a great sandwich,especially with picalilli or brown sauce,not to mention a corned beef hash or knock- up tinned stew.Bacon grill is just what it says,and did us proud during the early days of lockdown when stuff was scarce.

It all goes back to The Prepping Mantra. Store what you eat , eat what you store.I can't see the point of storing food you dislike.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:27 pm I'm going to try a few ways of serving it and I would value serving suggestions.
It all goes back to The Prepping Mantra. Store what you eat , eat what you store.I can't see the point of storing food you dislike.
I didn't like it, but I was brought up eating a LOT worse, so it's no ordeal by way of experiment. I still hope to find it a place in my diet,

I've never wholly subscribed to that mantra, but I'm coming around. This tinned Pek is 'last line of defense' protein stash. Anyway: I figured I should give it a try.at £3.3 a kilo. (Jenny Tight-arse) A friend mentioned the unthinkable bits of pig that go into it. Hmmmf Some things are better not known.

So, I found one acceptable use for it. Diced and deep fried after a dusting of flour, then merged in to a sachet of Home Bargain Punjab Choley and warmed through. That was a perfectly acceptable supper.

Going to try it chopped into a sweet and sour sauce next. I have high hopes for that. :D :D :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

There are some good recipes out there, particularly for Spam ( which I love).

I will stick to my assertion that you should store what you eat though: And I’ll tell you why. In a situation where you have to rely ONLY on your own stores, no resupply, then you will be under extreme stress. Extreme. When the body and mind encounters that situation, the digestive system tends to temporarily shut down. Part of the fight or flight mechanism I believe. It has happened several times in my life. Once , when we were involved in a firefight in Northern Ireland and the military police investigated, I ate nothing for a week and more. Sick with worry. Best forgotten. Another occasion I was wrongfully arrested, and my body reacted the same. Most recently, when we found out my wife had cancer. Zero appetite.

Now we have my daughter with us after her marriage broke up. She has lived, literally for six days on tea and Coca Cola. Last night she was hungry, and we were having a smashing lamb casserole. She never liked it as a child, and hungry as she was, she would not touch it! So her favourite pasta dish it was.

The idea that if you are hungry enough , you will eat it, is not true.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think it's commonsense too, to just stock what you really like. Why waste time and money on food you don't fancy? As you say Jansman things will be bad enough without having to force yourself to eat stuff you don't like. But then don't do what we do - get it/eat it/have to get more :mrgreen:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 am There are some good recipes out there, particularly for Spam ( which I love).

I will stick to my assertion that you should store what you eat though: And I’ll tell you why.,,,
Thanks Jansman for the quite deep and personal insight. I can't argue with any of that and you've gone a long way to persuading me.

You are right in as much as my OH would never be hungry enough to eat this, or indeed much of my 'substitute foods' I'm far more tolerant to my own cooking and I'll never starve.

Reminded of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kevsMqQ5DyU

I'll continue to 'play' with that Pek for fun, but I guess you are right that it should only be in my stash as long as it can justify itself, and it's far from there yet.

Sweet and Sour Pek might be the decider :)

Thanks also to DiamondLil for pulling me back on track. :D

Speaking of tinned meat products: One of my favourite 'gross' meat products is 'Westlers tinned burgers in onion gravy'. Truly awful as it comes from the tin, but add an oxo and serve with chips and bread and butter and it's wickedly delish and very popular.
Last seen in Home Bargain.
https://jamesvsburger.com/2012/09/26/ha ... the-world/

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:42 am
jansman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 am There are some good recipes out there, particularly for Spam ( which I love).

I will stick to my assertion that you should store what you eat though: And I’ll tell you why.,,,
Thanks Jansman for the quite deep and personal insight. I can't argue with any of that and you've gone a long way to persuading me.

You are right in as much as my OH would never be hungry enough to eat this, or indeed much of my 'substitute foods' I'm far more tolerant to my own cooking and I'll never starve.

Reminded of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kevsMqQ5DyU

I'll continue to 'play' with that Pek for fun, but I guess you are right that it should only be in my stash as long as it can justify itself, and it's far from there yet.

Sweet and Sour Pek might be the decider :)

Thanks also to DiamondLil for pulling me back on track. :D

Speaking of tinned meat products: One of my favourite 'gross' meat products is 'Westlers tinned burgers in onion gravy'. Truly awful as it comes from the tin, but add an oxo and serve with chips and bread and butter and it's wickedly delish and very popular.
Last seen in Home Bargain.
https://jamesvsburger.com/2012/09/26/ha ... the-world/
There are some good recipes on YouTube for tinned meat. One I would love to try is Special Fried Rice using Spam.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:46 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:56 pm Get on the Farmfoods website and you can get discount vouchers. Basically 10% off.
We get them through the post here usually once a month :mrgreen:
You can get e vouchers on you phone too.
Got there today realised the vouchers were still on the pinboard in the kitchen :evil:

30 seconds with the phone in the queue and £2 off 25 spend was used better than nothing ;)

Lidls new app £5 off 25 spend (Lidl plus) but they do what to know the far end of a fart
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine