Best for tinned meat

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Lemne

Best for tinned meat

Post by Lemne »

I'm going to start building up on tinned meats a bit more as even though I thought I had loads when I put it on the shelf, not so much. I have a freezer full but where is good for tinned meats both spam/corned beef type and chilli/stewed steak etc
pseudonym

Re: Best for tinned meat

Post by pseudonym »

I prefer the small tins of meat, individual portions really.

Morrisons do tins of pork (£1.45), chicken (£1.80), corned beef (£1.05)

If you are feeding larger groups the larger tins would be better.

Poundland also have offers on sometimes, i.e the same tinned pork could be found there for cheaper.

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Home bargains, B And M, Farmfoods.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Farm foods had a good choice on Saturday but I'd walked up next visit I'm off in the car
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Get on the Farmfoods website and you can get discount vouchers. Basically 10% off.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:56 pm Get on the Farmfoods website and you can get discount vouchers. Basically 10% off.
We get them through the post here usually once a month :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:46 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:56 pm Get on the Farmfoods website and you can get discount vouchers. Basically 10% off.
We get them through the post here usually once a month :mrgreen:
You can get e vouchers on you phone too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

If you have one of Icelands new 'Food Warehouse' branches, they have some occasional good offers on larger tins of corned beef and similar. I also got John West Red Salmon there at what must have been a mis-priced £2.50.

Indeed, canned fish can be a much better VFM for protein stores. B&Ms & Home Bargain & Lidl get my upvote

Tinned meat is quite an expensive option and there is some real rubbish out there. So always try some before buying lots. I always look at the price per kilo, too as some cans are deceptively small.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

I'm a bugger for the tinned meats and fish when it comes to preps, my reasoning being that whilst it may be reasonable to expect the likes of bread and potatoes to either be available or to be doled out by the authorities to some degree during hard times protein is going to prove an expensive and scarce commodity.

It's still within living memory when opening a tin of salmon was something of a treat and an occasion, and when I see corned ASDA beef back on the shelves right now, still for less than £1.50 I am very grateful and normally come home with at least one tray of 12 tins every shopping trip.

As much as anything else in this time of remarkable abundance, I often look at readilly available tinned meat as such a blessing when I consider just how much work would have to go into securing, preparing and storing that much protein in any other age.

ASDA is worth keeping an eye on because the very often have the large tins of Pek chopped pork on for £1 as a "loss leader", though it's been it's normal price of double that all the way through lockdown.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Dutch_Uncle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 am ASDA is worth keeping an eye on because the very often have the large tins of Pek chopped pork on for £1 as a "loss leader", though it's been it's normal price of double that all the way through lockdown.
Well spotted: currently on rollback £1 for 300g https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... k/75631112 Must add some to my order. I see the 170g tins are £1.38 and the stock of big tins is very low. Might speculatively 'allow substitutions' to see if I can get the small tins at big tin value.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong