Best for tinned meat

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Best for tinned meat

Post by jansman »

Glad it worked mate.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Lidls new app £5 off 25 spend (Lidl plus) but they do what to know the far end of a fart
?
Is that auto correct muking about?
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

grenfell wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Lidls new app £5 off 25 spend (Lidl plus) but they do what to know the far end of a fart
?
Yours must be on the blink too :mrgreen:
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

?

Must be a local phrase want to know the far end of a fart and what way the smell drifts

Want name address shoe size etc ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm

?
Yours must be on the blink too :mrgreen:
Doh :oops: think it's more the user...
Last edited by grenfell on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:33 pm

?

Must be a local phrase want to know the far end of a fart and what way the smell drifts

Want name address shoe size etc ;)
Definitely must be local , not one i've heard before.
We've used the app , well mrs G , and yes it requires name and address but it's nothing we really worry about. Seems that if one spends over a hundred a month then there are further savings too.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am Well spotted: currently on rollback £1 for 300g https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... k/75631112 Must add some to my order. I see the 170g tins are £1.38 and the stock of big tins is very low. Might speculatively 'allow substitutions' to see if I can get the small tins at big tin value.
Well, I'd tried the Pek pork at £1 for 300g, and today I tried Morrison's tinned Chicken Breast at £1.80 for 200g. Here's my comparison and verdict:-

TLDR: Pek is cheap but awful. Chicken is expensive but OK.

Tinned meat for a SHTF stash is pretty much a last ditch protein store for a time when fresh meat is not available and my 4 freezers full have been depleted or ruined. Think for a moment how bad the national situation would need to be before resorting to unpleasant tinned meat. Morale will be crushed and unpleasant food may be worse than starvation! I can live with tinned spam, bacon grill,bratwurst and corned beef, though they would depress an already demoralised family. So take these products in that context.

At £3.30 per kg, the Pek seemed to be good value protein. 90% pork: Possible 100% pigs' arse! Cheap to stash some. Fried and mixed in a curry sauce, it's acceptable. But the other ways I've tried it were far from pleasant. I'd only add to my current stash of half a dozen tins if nothing else (not even pet food) was available. It's cheap, but rank. No way I'd rotate it into my normal diet.

So onto the tinned chicken.
Effectively £9 a kilo, this is an extravagance for our SHTF stash. It's not really something I'm likely to rotate much into my regular diet. So. what's it like?
Well, not bad. This chicken breast is a reasonable chicken meat substitute: A sort of chicken luncheon meat. There's a bit of watery jelly in the tin, but no wastage apart from that. A big up-side is that it is not classic Mechanically Recovered Meat. I just cooked some in a rissotto and it was passable as chicken. It tastes and smells OK from the tin for sandwiches. But you don't get much for your money. A deep compromise.

You need to make your own judgement as to whether these should have a place in your bug-in bunker. Is the cost prohibitive for you? Where in a future crisis would these be appropriate? Would/could you rotate this into your regular diet?

For my own stash, I'll not buy any more Pek. It's a tiny proportion of my other SHTF meat substitutes, which have plenty of MRM meats, tinned fish and dried soya. The high VFM doesn't justify more for me. If you are building a stash on a very tight budget, AND you already like it, then it's good VFM. Not for me.

And the chicken. This is the polar opposite of value for money. I WILL be buying more, to add balance to my super long term meat store. I'll even rotate some into my diet. But I'm not considering the extremely high cost per kg, which might deter others.

Now... Out to get some Westlers Tinned hamburgers in gravy. Yum yum

I'll continue to 'speriment with these various 'meat like products'

Your opinions/recipes/suggestions?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bacon grill,Spam,luncheon meat and corned beef.Love 'em all.Don't forget tinned fish either. If you're gonna store it ,you have got to like it,surely! SHTF,the tinned stuff will supplement what I can shoot,trap or fish.

As an aside,on Sunday Mrs J and I will watch a couple of films in the Summer house,have a sherbet or two and then dinner.For sheer ease,we will have a favourite.A tinned stew.Tin of stewing steak,tin of mince,oxtail soup,carrots,peas and potatoes.And a drop of curry powder. Slice of decent bread ( from the bakery at work) and we are good. If you are a prepper,you gotta do that.Oh yes,butterbeans are good too! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

My kids actually think its a special treat to have fried spam! I kid you not :D
They're looking forward to the Apocalypse so they can eat daddy's supplies in the shed ;-)