Small containers for burying

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: Small containers for burying

Post by grenfell »

I've not given it a huge amount of though either simply because i have other options but i would think Jenny's idea of small containers is probably the way to go if you pursue the idea. Burying something the size of an oil drum must be appealing just for the amount of stores that could go in there but it's a lot of spoil to remove and you'll really need to keep this pretty secret. Just the time needed to bury a large container increases the chance it will be noticed. Burying numerous small containers is probably more work as an aggregate but you could go for a "hike" with a couple in a rucksac and not attract attention . Perhaps carry a few balloons so that you don't go out with a full pack and return with an empty one. I would say to allow for some containers to be lost , perhaps through seals failing , discovery through agricultural , building or drainage work or even dug up by a metal detectorist , or perhaps simply by access being cut off. Losing a few small containers would be less of an overall loss than losing one large one.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Jenny's idea is indeed genius. You could even take it as step further and bury a crumpled wet wipe an inch or so under the surface to "discourage" further exploration ;-)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Living in shared accommodation and lack of space would seem to be the driver for considering burying supplies. If,what is to be buried is for emergencies,rather than general consumption,pehaps there is another way?

A plastic box,like the one pictured in the original post,can hold a lot of dehydrated/ dry goods. Rice for instance.A kilo can provide a good few meals for one,with the addition of whatever else is available at the time.Pasta is the same.Spaghetti can be packed very tight,and in true Italian peasant fashion,can be utilised to create a meal from very little.Chuck in some tubes of tomato puree,and sauces can be made simply.Some herbs and spices,curry powder too, can lift bland food.Dried beans go a long way too,and are a superb source of protein and fibre.You get the idea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

This is making me think of burying a small container with some relatively cheap food such as rice purely as an experiment to see how it fares over a year.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 am Living in shared accommodation and lack of space would seem to be the driver for considering burying supplies. If,what is to be buried is for emergencies,rather than general consumption,pehaps there is another way?

A plastic box,like the one pictured in the original post,can hold a lot of dehydrated/ dry goods. Rice for instance.A kilo can provide a good few meals for one,with the addition of whatever else is available at the time.Pasta is the same.Spaghetti can be packed very tight,and in true Italian peasant fashion,can be utilised to create a meal from very little.Chuck in some tubes of tomato puree,and sauces can be made simply.Some herbs and spices,curry powder too, can lift bland food.Dried beans go a long way too,and are a superb source of protein and fibre.You get the idea.
The tomato powder I'm experimenting with is supposed to able to substitute for passata, if you wanted to go all dried (no liquids to leak)

Turkey: How much of what sort of things are you wanting to stash ?

Grenfell: Sounds like an interesting idea, keep us posted ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh right , guess i'll have to do more than think about it then...
Turkey Doughnuts

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Turkey: How much of what sort of things are you wanting to stash ?

Food and tools. I have been growing my own stuff for years and I am also competent at animal husbandry so I would just need enough to outlast mobs before I can start growing as I lack the ability to protect against such things. Radishes are reasonably harvest able after 30 days or so and rye grass can be harvested and ground into flour after 45 days, time of year and conditions permitting. It also provides a nice habitat for crickets that can also be turned into flour.

Plenty of replies to formulate some ideas from.

I am think possibly sealed wet goods such as soups might be an idea as they are already moist they may be a bit more resistant to condensation etc.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:19 pm Plenty of replies to formulate some ideas from.

I am think possibly sealed wet goods such as soups might be an idea as they are already moist they may be a bit more resistant to condensation etc.
Quick search for drain pipes reveals that there are loads of pvc fittings that are made for the job, and cost effective..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23014780593

I like the idea of screw on end caps. Elegantly simple and simply elegant,

Made to be waterproof and made to be buried. Wonder how many tins of beans could fit in a 3m pipe (20?) and how long till water gets in and they rust :)
I feel a 'speriment coming on.

[edit] Hmmmmm a quick google later
http://www.howtoburyyourstuff.com/how-t ... 5-methods/
https://www.survivalsullivan.com/how-to ... our-cache/

I hope the out-links are acceptable.

[/edit] I never thought this cacheing was so popular.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

That's some interesting links. If we are experimenting with burying anywhere but on our own property i'd be tempted to bury an empty tube or two. Doesn't need to be proper tubes as such , just something to see how likely they may be discovered or dug up by someone else.