seeds

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
GillyBee

Re: seeds

Post by GillyBee »

And if all else fails plant Jerusalem Artichokes for the easiest crop ever. But don't expect to EVER get rid of them
I planted a 1m square of them ten years ago. Dug out every last tuber. Got a small sackful (10kg or so) and the wretched things came back the next year as if I had planted them specially. Weedkiller tried - no joy either. Drought tolerant. Nothing kills them.
I wouldn't mind but t'other half has declared that he won't eat them as they cause digestive troubles and I would rather grow something else there instead.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Gillybee - I planted Jerusalem artichokes this year for that very reason! Emergency fall back food source.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Same goes for horseradish, once you've got it, its for life. :D

Approx half of our seeds this year were sown from two years storage in the chest freezer and we've seen no difference in propagation level or growth rate compared to our dry stored ones, so we will definitely be putting some more away in the freezer for long term.

We will be concentrating on dry storing much more for safety reasons and using the dehydrator to dry the seeds as its much quicker and more even.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It would take the apocalypse to get t'other half to eat Jerusalem artichokes but we have them for that eventuality as I have given up on trying to get rid of them.

The freezer should give you a lot more than two years seed life. Real Seeds say for just a cool dry room you would get the following which matches my experience with a "normal" room.

Beans 3 to 5 yrs +
Beetroot, chard & leaf beet 2 to 3 yrs
Brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussels, turnips etc) 3 to 7 yrs
Carrots up to 3 yrs
Courgettes & squashes 2 to 4 yrs
Cucumbers & melons up to 10 yrs
Lettuces 2 to 5 yrs
Onions/leeks/spring onions up to 3 yrs max
Parsley up to 3 yrs
Parsnips 2 yrs max
Peas 3 to 5 yrs +
Peppers & aubergines up to 5 yrs
Tomatoes up to 8 yrs
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: If you grow Jerusalem Artichokes (JA) find some recipes. Plenty out there. The wind- inducing property ( inulin) makes them hard to eat for many. I now grow them in open ended barrels so they cannot spread.

As for horseradish, I dig it at the top of the lane. If you want to get rid of either, there is a simple solution. RoundUp. It kills everything.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"RoundUp. It kills everything."

Shame on you Jansman, wash your mouth out. :lol: (Kills people too I believe)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm "RoundUp. It kills everything."

I like chemicals.Got a minor rat problem at the moment. They are taking bait at a good rate!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm "RoundUp. It kills everything."

we use round up in work though over the last 2yrs or so it has been slatted in the press,though work is looking for other ways for weed control to stop using it,just as well iv managed to obtain 25litres of it over the last few years just incase it does get banned...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...