Vacuum packing and long term storage.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Vacuum packing and long term storage.

Post by jansman »

Where does a person buy tomato powder from? It sounds an interesting product.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I found it a while ago on the River named site.
I also found dried Stilton powder, KFC seasoning, Hickory smoke powder and chip shop batter.... To name but a few.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 pm Where does a person buy tomato powder from? It sounds an interesting product.
You can also make it yourself with a dehydrator. I've got mushrooms in the Dh at the mo for mushroom powder.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 pm I found it a while ago on the River named site.
I also found dried Stilton powder, KFC seasoning, Hickory smoke powder and chip shop batter.... To name but a few.
Intriguing. Tomato powder stash instead of passatta. about £11 per kilo which will make 10 kg of passata or 3kg of puree.
So not bad value and certainly small and neat to store.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1097_.jpg

I might buy a kilo and give it a go in my next ragu.

I can't see it being too cost effective for me to dh my own unless we can grow a massive glut at low cost.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You do need to keep it extremely dry and well wrapped or it goes into one big lump. It still keeps fine. Or break it down into small flat packs so you can break a lump off when needed. My supply that went into a Tupperware needs to have bits chipped off to use which is the main downside of using it.
We took it camping last year pre blended with onion powder and spices. Instant curry sauce.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

May I ask where people are buying their dehydrated veg from? Can't seem to find it anywhere (at least not at a sensible price vs packet size ratio!)
Cheers
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 am May I ask where people are buying their dehydrated veg from? Can't seem to find it anywhere (at least not at a sensible price vs packet size ratio!)
Cheers
Here seems to be popular with some of our folks.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Excellent, thank you