Low carb long life foods

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Lemne

Low carb long life foods

Post by Lemne »

I'm a diet controlled diabetic and am looking for low carb long life foods. I can get tinned meats etc but was looking for something a bit more inspiring. All the cheaper foods I can find are pasta or carb based. Is anybody doing this who can share what they have bought. Money is a factor at the moment.
Arwen Thebard

Re: Low carb long life foods

Post by Arwen Thebard »

You may already know Jack Monroe the Tin Can Cook?
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/shop/

Might add some "inexpensive inspiration" but not necessarily a list of long life foods?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

LC and long life don't go well do they. Home made soup is the staple in this house but that isn't really filling. Sourdough bread but that involves keeping a starter in the fridge.
Husband cheats and has small amounts of carbs as it makes life much easier. He is type2 , diet controlled.
I make cakes and biscuits from almond flour and freeze them but they aren't fabulous.
I think it would be hard really to build up a totally LC stash.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Cauliflower rice as the main substitute I use the packets as well. Dehyrating my own also.

Tinned chicken dehydrated some of those as well.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:21 pm You may already know Jack Monroe the Tin Can Cook?
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/shop/

Might add some "inexpensive inspiration" but not necessarily a list of long life foods?
I will second that website. Jack Monroe uses a lot of ingredients found in foodbank parcels ( primarily). She is also vegan ( although,unlike most vegans,doesn't ram it down your throat), but includes meat too. Well worth a look.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

While we are not low carb, food intolerance means no wheat corn or potato products which excludes a lot of the classic storage foods.
We hold a lot of gram flour- moderate carb, coconut flour, and some psyllium husk and also whey protein which works as a flour substitute in some recipes. Dried egg is also useful. It is horrible by itself but good in any baked mixes with the coconut and psyllium flours.
Nuts and seeds are also good but short lived.
Quinoa is probably too high carb for you.It
Tinned ghee and coconut oil and duck fat all store at room temp for at least a year, ghee much longer if you read the Asian websites.
The main difference is that you can't stock up and forget the stuff as none has a very long shelf life. Instead, I work in keeping enough for a year or two of normal usage and top up every 6 months.
The alternative is to waste half of it when you do the stock take and see how much has gone over and view the replacement as a planned cost but that is both expensive and wasteful. :oops:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

No matter what you're eating, herbs and spices will help. Supermarket own brand are cheap and accessible, or try Asian supermarkets - last summer, I bought a kilo of turmeric for £2.99, not kidding!

As with cauliflower rice, you can substitute sweet potatoes or parsnips for potatoes - they might be too sweet for a diabetic, though, I'm not sure, sorry.

Thirding Jack Monroe - she's very good. And the back list on her website is great.

About nuts and seeds - I keep mine in my freezer to extend their shelf life, I bulk buy online so I need to do that. Again, Asian supermarkets might be a good option for you - there are none in my town, so I'd have to travel to get to one.

I'd seriously think about saving up to buy a dehydrator - I have one of the cheap ones, £30 or so, and just dry ingredients, not completed dishes - when everything's well dried and cooled down, I just put it in sterilised jam jars, ordinary ones. Foraging edible leaves too, to help make my own pesto :)

HTH
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know about Jack Monroe so will definitely go and check her out. I have a long list of food intolerance's but the low carb is the most important for my health so can adapt from there. I've got a dehydrator but it is the 'bread maker' of my kitchen and sits unused on top of my fridge. I need to dust it off and start using it. I've just invested in a vacuum sealer so with the two I should be able to come up with something. I will start sealing some small portions of spices for my go bag, I have tons at home. I have a sourdough starter but bread spikes my bg so I can't have it :cry: Some great ideas thanks.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Hubby is keto, I'm between keto & carnivore. Dehydrator. You can cook off things like the tex mex from the diet doctor site and then dehydrate it. You can also cook off and dehydrate minced beef. Add your fats later.

Look at coconut oil & ghee as two fairly long term, shelf stable fats that are healthy - you can add them in when you rehydrate :)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

redskies wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:46 pm Hubby is keto, I'm between keto & carnivore. Dehydrator. You can cook off things like the tex mex from the diet doctor site and then dehydrate it. You can also cook off and dehydrate minced beef. Add your fats later.

Look at coconut oil & ghee as two fairly long term, shelf stable fats that are healthy - you can add them in when you rehydrate :)
:o stands back in amazement. I had no idea you could dehydrate cooked meals. I thought it was just for jerky and fruits etc. I will defo look into doing the mince.