Waxed cheese question

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Medusa

Waxed cheese question

Post by Medusa »

On the back of the freezing cheddar question, how long does waxed cheese last? I have seen You tube videos of preppers waxing their own cheese and saying that it will last years and other people saying that it doesnt last much past the use by date. In summer 2018 I bought a few waxed cheeses from a company at an agricultural fair on holiday and bought more from them prior to Christmas 2018. All various flavours of cheddar. I opened one in January to make a cheese sauce, it looked and tasted fine so I used it without any side effects. but it was already a month past its use by date. I still have a couple of wheels which have been in the fridge and keep looking at it wondering if it is still ok to use?
Growing old disgracefully!
ForgeCorvus

Re: Waxed cheese question

Post by ForgeCorvus »

As I mentioned in another thread, waxed Gouda that was 25 years old.

I don't know if the making process is any different for really long term storage though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Medusa wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm On the back of the freezing cheddar question,..... I still have a couple of wheels which have been in the fridge and keep looking at it wondering if it is still ok to use?

It won't be safe to use. Or even handle. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly and safely for you.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

:D thanks everyone. Will eat and order more
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yay!
Cheese party at Medusa's :D
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

featherstick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm
Medusa wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm On the back of the freezing cheddar question,..... I still have a couple of wheels which have been in the fridge and keep looking at it wondering if it is still ok to use?

It won't be safe to use. Or even handle. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly and safely for you.
Now i'm only guessing but i suppose if there's out of date wine needing disposal.....
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

grenfell wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm
featherstick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Now i'm only guessing but i suppose if there's out of date wine needing disposal.....
Wine doesnt get a chance to go out of date here Im afraid, no chances of anything becoming a very good vintage either :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Wine going "out of date" is something i tend to wind my sister in law up with. She seems to think a best before date is a turns to rat poison date but is perfectly happy to drink a ten year old wine.
I had a load of homebrew a lot of which the labels had come off or become illegible . I started to take a few bottles with me to reenactments and we'd play what we called wine roulette and try to work out just what it was. Some bottles still had the label and on one occasion i realised i'd perhaps become a hoarder. A friend who was around 25 at the time was drinking some , looked at the bottle and pointed out i'd made this wine five years before she was born.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Wine roulette sounds fun, I bet some of it is pretty strong too, but 30 years old wow!