Potato Help please

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
korolev

Potato Help please

Post by korolev »

Wifey has had some seed potatos delivered. does she need to "chit" them before planting or can they go straight in the mud ?
hobo

Re: Potato Help please

Post by hobo »

Yes, chit them. Mine took 2-3 weeks.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

korolev wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:50 pm Wifey has had some seed potatos delivered. does she need to "chit" them before planting or can they go straight in the mud ?
I've they are already sprouted when they arrive then they can go straight in. I ordered two lots this year and chucked them straight into the pots.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Chuck them in farmers don't chit them ... One old farmer I know chops them in 2 if they have 2 eyes...

Quick YouTube brings this up

https://www.google.com/search?q=plantin ... e&ie=UTF-8
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Same as Andy. Never bother to chit them. Bung ‘ em in, they’ll grow.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Suppose I'm by-the-book :lol:
daylen

Post by daylen »

I don't mean to hijack the thread but... I've not really grown a lot of potatoes so was reading up about them and whether I could simply grow them from sprouting shop bought spuds.

All the articles I read said you can but you risk a build up of disease as seed potatoes are grown in strict conditions and are tested to be disease free.

With this in mind, are potatoes a viable SHTF crop? I mean, if they build up disease and need strict controls, home-grown crops that are replanted would become dangerous after a few years, wouldn't they? Or is this talk just protectionism from the seed potato growers?! A bit like the old tales about mandrake root!
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I've always grown them using old potatoes from the kitchen. No problems with disease just make sure you plant them in a different area each year. You can eventually return to the original position.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I just throw them in the ground. I used to use ordinary kitchen potatoes that had got old, this year I bought seed tatties.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

daylen wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm I don't mean to hijack the thread but... I've not really grown a lot of potatoes so was reading up about them and whether I could simply grow them from sprouting shop bought spuds.

All the articles I read said you can but you risk a build up of disease as seed potatoes are grown in strict conditions and are tested to be disease free.

With this in mind, are potatoes a viable SHTF crop? I mean, if they build up disease and need strict controls, home-grown crops that are replanted would become dangerous after a few years, wouldn't they? Or is this talk just protectionism from the seed potato growers?! A bit like the old tales about mandrake root!

Over time you can get diseases in the soil ...but what do the farmers grow ..... Which is what we get in sacks from the supermarket..... Crop rotation even in a small ISH veg garden is key. I'm on a 3/4 year rotation on the allotment to try and keep pests at bay be it onions and bottom end rot or similar...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine