Interesting article on continuing flour shortages.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Stonecarver

Re: Interesting article on continuing flour shortages.

Post by Stonecarver »

featherstick wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm
diamond lil wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm Why? Will the bigger one then eat me? :shock: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No, it's because you must always choose the lesser of two weevils!!

:D :D :D
:) :) :)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm Being a butcher,I’ll be guided by the Geordie baker who , as a career tradesman , served in Camp Bastion. He knows his stuff. Us professionals don’t tolerate dirty food. Contrary to what the public think. If we contravene the the food safety act 1991 ( amendment) , as individuals we can incur a £20,000 fine AND 2 years in prison. If you have to kill weevils in flour, you need a different supply. This ‘freezing flour ‘advice comes from the USA, as they have awful food standards.
So you consider it a waste of time then to freeze flour?
Weevils are only reason I do it
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm So you consider it a waste of time then to freeze flour?
I'm in the '24 hour freeze it' camp.
These professional bakery guys probably use the stuff far quicker than we preppers. They bake with it, we store it way longer than they would.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm Being a butcher,I’ll be guided by the Geordie baker who , as a career tradesman , served in Camp Bastion. He knows his stuff. Us professionals don’t tolerate dirty food. Contrary to what the public think. If we contravene the the food safety act 1991 ( amendment) , as individuals we can incur a £20,000 fine AND 2 years in prison. If you have to kill weevils in flour, you need a different supply. This ‘freezing flour ‘advice comes from the USA, as they have awful food standards.
It's what you are comfy with I suppose.Belt and braces and all that.Personally,we have never at home,had an incidence of creepy crawlies in flour straight from the shop.We do store all opened foods in sealed containers,because that will draw pests. If I bought flour with weevils in it,I would want my money back. I first saw the advice to do this( freeze flour) on an American site many years ago.It seems to be standard prepper procedure now,but you have to bear in mind that American food safety/hygiene regulations are far less stringent than ours. My concern would be the formation of condensation when freezing flour,as that in turn could cause mould spores to form,and mould in cereals can be rather injurious to health.I guess in the end though,if it works for you,then fine.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

It could depend on where you buy your flour and how it was ground. If you are buying supermarket stuff or bakery products it would most likily be safe. If you are buying speciality flour from cottage millers you could have more of a problem. I freeze mine however I have also moved away from long term storage of flour and I now store the actual grain. Wheat berries have been found in the pyramids which was safe to eat. I grind my own flour when I want to bake so it is fresh and it tastes so so much better. Once you have tried home grinding I do not think you would go back. I have a vitamix for grinding along with a hand cranked machine for off grid.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

cbp125 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:26 pm It could depend on where you buy your flour and how it was ground. If you are buying supermarket stuff or bakery products it would most likily be safe. If you are buying speciality flour from cottage millers you could have more of a problem. I freeze mine however I have also moved away from long term storage of flour and I now store the actual grain. Wheat berries have been found in the pyramids which was safe to eat. I grind my own flour when I want to bake so it is fresh and it tastes so so much better. Once you have tried home grinding I do not think you would go back. I have a vitamix for grinding along with a hand cranked machine for off grid.
Where do you get your grain from?
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:59 am
Stonecarver wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm
It's what you are comfy with I suppose.Belt and braces and all that.Personally,we have never at home,had an incidence of creepy crawlies in flour straight from the shop.We do store all opened foods in sealed containers,because that will draw pests. If I bought flour with weevils in it,I would want my money back. I first saw the advice to do this( freeze flour) on an American site many years ago.It seems to be standard prepper procedure now,but you have to bear in mind that American food safety/hygiene regulations are far less stringent than ours. My concern would be the formation of condensation when freezing flour,as that in turn could cause mould spores to form,and mould in cereals can be rather injurious to health.I guess in the end though,if it works for you,then fine.
"In the end"is the 6 million dollar question as I have been putting the flour bags straight into freezer for days(was 7 then 5 now 3 :?) . After that a few days later straight into mylar bags and in buckets. So wont know about any mould problem for years I would imagine.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:07 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm So you consider it a waste of time then to freeze flour?
I'm in the '24 hour freeze it' camp.
These professional bakery guys probably use the stuff far quicker than we preppers. They bake with it, we store it way longer than they would.
I think maybe we are storing flour longer than we SHOULD. How long do you intend to store yours? I can't seem to find a good answer on how long flour stays 'good' when looking online
Jansman
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I buy grain online from real foods.com stored correctly grain doesnt have a shelf life, some has lasted 1000+ years and still been nutritious.
flours shelf life depends on which type, wholewheat is far shorter than white. Once the grain has been ground,the oils mix with the rest of the seed. In white flour most of the oil containing bits are removed so it lasts longer but the nutrents are in the oils. If stored corectly, it should still last 25yrs if needed
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

cbp125 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 am I buy grain online from real foods.com stored correctly grain doesnt have a shelf life, some has lasted 1000+ years and still been nutritious.
flours shelf life depends on which type, wholewheat is far shorter than white. Once the grain has been ground,the oils mix with the rest of the seed. In white flour most of the oil containing bits are removed so it lasts longer but the nutrents are in the oils. If stored corectly, it should still last 25yrs if needed
When I was WWOOFing years ago, on one farm my first job of the day was to grind enough grain to make the 8 loaves of bread we'd get through every day. Get up, get the mill going, put the coffee on, drink coffee, make dough - fixed routine for weeks. It was good.