Anybody know about RATS?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Anybody know about RATS?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

As Jansman says, rats are phobic of new things.
My bait boxes are down all the time, but I only put the 'tasty rat food' in them when we think there might be a problem. (there are two different poisons available and I use both in alternation)

I don't like traps

Trail cameras are also useful if you want to check whats visiting before going to lethal methods.

Only some cats will take a full grown rat, our lad (when he was still with us) would have a go at anything.... But of the two we always thought his sister was the smart one.
Terriers have been selectively bred for hundreds (if not thousands) of years to root out and murder anything small and furry. Our two have been known to kill mice and then take it in turns to carry the body around.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

What I've done is to get next door to feed the birds over the fence in the field instead of her garden. And every night we empty the 2 birds water dishes. Still never seen any sign of rats so maybe the smell was something else.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 pm What I've done is to get next door to feed the birds over the fence in the field instead of her garden. And every night we empty the 2 birds water dishes. Still never seen any sign of rats so maybe the smell was something else.
Foxes have a distinct smell too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

We once had a bad infestation of rats in our house. They first came for chicken and rabbit food and quickly moved in the house living in the walls.
I found their entrance\exit point (had chewed through a plastic air brick). I caged it off leaving an area of about 1m2 and carpeted the ground with traps. Used peanut butter as bait and was quickly catching loads.
After 2 weeks, and about 20 dead rats, we cleared the house. Since then I've used peanut butter for rats and mice with much success.
I never use poison as we have cats, dogs chooks and turkeys.
A clean area and no food waste is the best way to keep them from coming, but if you have them try peanut butter. Tesco value stuff works fine :)
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We had them in our walls , the noise of them chewing through bricks during the night was horrible.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Just discovered we have a rat (or more likely some rats) living under the decking out the back. Fortunately it's below the floor level of the ground floor and there's no air bricks (solid floor down there) so they shouldn't get in the house/walls.
I have got some poison from screwfix and put it under the decking, will check it tomorrow to see if they've taken it.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

korolev wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:13 am Just discovered we have a rat (or more likely some rats) living under the decking out the back. Fortunately it's below the floor level of the ground floor and there's no air bricks (solid floor down there) so they shouldn't get in the house/walls.
I have got some poison from screwfix and put it under the decking, will check it tomorrow to see if they've taken it.

Put it in bread and butter make them a sandwich if they don't touch it ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I bought a couple of these off amazon - baitbox with integral trap, very handy if you have cats. They're in the shed now "seasoning" ready for the autumn influx.
Screenshot_20200606-102812.png
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Internal image
Screenshot_20200607-074047.png
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:41 am Internal image

Screenshot_20200607-074047.png
I like that.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.