Anybody know about RATS?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Anybody know about RATS?

Post by diamond lil »

Do rats have a smell? I mean is there a smell around their haunts? There's a corner of my garden that smells unpleasant but its hard to describe. It's not a catty/dogshitty type of smell, It's just odd and not nice.
We did have a prob with rats last year as the neighbour was overfeeding birds and the whole terrace of 4 houses ended up infested with the bloody things. We clubbed together and got a ratman in who got rid of them. Anybody advise?
redskies

Re: Anybody know about RATS?

Post by redskies »

They're pretty clean as a rule. I guess it could be a sort of musty scent, but nothing terribly offensive or even noticeable.

Could it be you've had a visit from a fox? That's a scent that tends to linger and is very noticeable.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I'd agree with redskies, unless they're in a confined space and there's a lot of urine they generally don't smell. Fox urine stinks.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ok might well be ratties then, it's not a fox, we dont have any here. Got a big shooting estate up the road with a lot of young gun-happy keepers. It's not too in-yer-face it's just not nice. Off to google rat poison lol- that will worry the husband :twisted:
redskies

Post by redskies »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am Ok might well be ratties then, it's not a fox, we dont have any here. Got a big shooting estate up the road with a lot of young gun-happy keepers. It's not too in-yer-face it's just not nice. Off to google rat poison lol- that will worry the husband :twisted:

Ratties are neophobic, and if one of em has died of a poison, the others won't touch it - just so you know!

Don't underestimate how intelligent they are either - amongst the brightest mammals I've ever come across.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yea I know. I had some when we kept chickens but back then we had a lovely big ginger tom stray who helped get rid of them, he's sadly gone now. Will tell neighbour to stop feeding birds and remove the water from the birdbath.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm Yea I know. I had some when we kept chickens but back then we had a lovely big ginger tom stray who helped get rid of them, he's sadly gone now. Will tell neighbour to stop feeding birds and remove the water from the birdbath.
Bird feeding is definitely a cause of rats. Good housekeeping is key to minimising rat visits.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My attic definitely smelt when I had a lot of rats - they'd been in for a while before I got the pest control guy in.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's not a full-on hellish awful smell, but when I bend down or kneel to do hand weeding it's very definitely there. :evil:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

We have two bird feeding stations in the garden, both of these have a ratbox nearby.

I check the bait once a week and if it starts to go, I check daily.
There are two poisons available to the public in this country and I switch between them.

I have noticed a musty smell near some suspected ratholes during the last campaign...... I just thought it was something nextdoor was growing.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar