What are you growing / starting off ?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: What are you growing / starting off ?

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:51 pm Tenderstem broccoli and normal broccoli have sprouted as have the caulis. No sign of the peppers or carrots yet nor the cumbers, although Im guessing it will have to get quite a bit warmer for those. Some spuds planted which were excess ones from the neighbour. We really should have bought seed potatoes much earlier as the ones I ordered havent arrived yet. Found a random garlic bulb left over for some reason from the ones I planted in autumn which are doing ok so planted that and the onions are sprouting. Bit limited for space here, but husband is in the process of building a couple more raised beds.
I have had to make do with what I had, seed- wise. This last Winter I redesigned my garden, and I was actually going to buy plants- lazy I know- and got caught out by the virus if I am honest. So I am growing from left over / saved seed. My seed spuds are rescues from the bottom of the sack.Real SHTF gardening !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Not going to get much grown this year I think, so concentrating on what I know grows well and easily in my back garden. And what I will eat! :lol: Tomatoes and Pak Choi currently. Lettuce to come. I suspect the Jerusalem artichokes will return of their own accord.... Thought I had aubergine seeds but I didn't so waiting on their delivery...might be too late now but I'm hoping the heat of my south facing patio will work its wonders over the summer!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I have planted 50 seed potatoes but have space for more.

Anyone recommend a quick supplier please?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Trojanhorse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm I have planted 50 seed potatoes but have space for more.

Anyone recommend a quick supplier please?
Get some from the shop and sprout ‘em.Or just plant ‘em. They will grow. In fact , second- grown is often more vigorous.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Tomatoes sown except Galina which is already flowering in the greenhouse. It is tough as old boots. Chilli peppers on windowsill. No potatoes as family have food intolerance troubles but I have some oca chitting from Real Seeds.
Already getting pea shoots from the green house. They were sown 3 weeks ago and I should get a couple more cuts before they give up. All from a packet of Morrison's cooking peas.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:15 pm Tomatoes sown except Galina which is already flowering in the greenhouse.
Serious newbie idiot Question about growing tomatoes & maybe peppers...

(I've previously had a few grow in growbags to a modest crop. just once worth the effort.)

... A bag of tomato seeds has maybe 50 seeds or more, but surely, 50 tomato plants would take up at least a dozen growbags and feed a street on tomatoes forever. Where does one draw the line on propagating and chucking away? I have about 20 tomato seedlings on the go and I begrudge murdering any or giving them away. How many should i reasonably expect to keep to maturity? How many to a growbag? Is 3 too few? Should I double or triple up and accept some struggling competing plants? Same goes for peppers, I guess.

I also have some onion sets and seeds growing, but unless I intend to be an onion wholesaler, it seems silly to plant a whole pack of hundreds of seeds?

Carrots... you get many hundreds of seeds. Do I really sow them all in a few feet of ground or split my pack over a few seasons?

Is it a case of sow hundreds and harvest from just a very few?

Anyone recommend an absolute dummies guide to growing worthwhile food in minimal space with nominal amount of care?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm
GillyBee wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:15 pm Tomatoes sown except Galina which is already flowering in the greenhouse.
Serious newbie idiot Question about growing tomatoes & maybe peppers...

(I've previously had a few grow in growbags to a modest crop. just once worth the effort.)

... A bag of tomato seeds has maybe 50 seeds or more, but surely, 50 tomato plants would take up at least a dozen growbags and feed a street on tomatoes forever. Where does one draw the line on propagating and chucking away? I have about 20 tomato seedlings on the go and I begrudge murdering any or giving them away. How many should i reasonably expect to keep to maturity? How many to a growbag? Is 3 too few? Should I double or triple up and accept some struggling competing plants? Same goes for peppers, I guess.

I also have some onion sets and seeds growing, but unless I intend to be an onion wholesaler, it seems silly to plant a whole pack of hundreds of seeds?

Carrots... you get many hundreds of seeds. Do I really sow them all in a few feet of ground or split my pack over a few seasons?

Is it a case of sow hundreds and harvest from just a very few?

Anyone recommend an absolute dummies guide to growing worthwhile food in minimal space with nominal amount of care?
You can't go wrong with the Royal Horticultural Society.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=527

Just sow your seeds thinly,fold the packs over and keep them,like everything,cool,dark and dry.I use a biscuit tin on a shelf in the coalhouse.

Oh yes,growbags.If you want a decent crop,don't use growbags! Tip the contents into a 12" pot so there is depth for the roots.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here is another : https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/blog/small- ... r-growing/

And don't forget YouTube.

Robert Frost.

Me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Also, if you find yourself with too many, give them to neighbours, it's a great way to get conversations going.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sowed two rows of parsnips, 1 of beetroot, and two perpetual spinach. Another tray of pea shoots, 2 of micro lettuce and 1 of beet leaves. Also 2 x 12” pots of blue lake climbing beans in the tunnel. Full steam ahead now!

Robert Frost.

Me.