What are you growing / starting off ?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Trojanhorse

Re: What are you growing / starting off ?

Post by Trojanhorse »

Get some from the shop and sprout ‘em.Or just plant ‘em. They will grow. In fact , second- grown is often more vigorous.
[/quote]

So there is no harm to the soil or future plants using shop borough potatoes?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 pm Get some from the shop and sprout ‘em.Or just plant ‘em. They will grow. In fact , second- grown is often more vigorous.
[/quote]

Seed is seed. Shop bought spuds will be disease free, and grown from certified stock. I have been gardening for the best part of 40 years, and have been poor, then rich and poor again at any time within those years. My dad would grow from shop bought spuds, and he was always hard up! I have done the same in the lean years, and this year is one of them. It’s about adapting and working with what you’ve got.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

jansman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:23 pm
Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 pm Get some from the shop and sprout ‘em.Or just plant ‘em. They will grow. In fact , second- grown is often more vigorous.
Seed is seed. Shop bought spuds will be disease free, and grown from certified stock. I have been gardening for the best part of 40 years, and have been poor, then rich and poor again at any time within those years. My dad would grow from shop bought spuds, and he was always hard up! I have done the same in the lean years, and this year is one of them. It’s about adapting and working with what you’ve got.
[/quote]

I agree with the above. Regrowing from supermarket food has helped me many years over from garlic to potatoes etc.
There is a "small" risk in my opinion that if everyone grows from the same supermarket supplies is increases the risk of blight etc, not because there is anything wrong with the supermarket potatoes but because they are all genetically similar and therefore at risk of all going down with the same disease or infection.
The advantage in growing seed potatoes is choice. There is a far larger range of potatoes to chose from, many you would never have heard about before. I buy seed potatoes some years if I have the privilage of money at the time and fancy growing something different that I cannot get in the shops, other years I just regrow from the supermarket either as I am poor or because I have forgot to order my seed pots in time.
You can also grow potatoes from potato peelings like they did during WW2, pots love to grow if they can