What are you growing / starting off ?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

What are you growing / starting off ?

Post by PreppingPingu »

With the current situation, I'm concentrating on salad stuff like lettuce/toms in my garden and root veg at the allotment. Though I do have some spuds in a tub in the garden as I have a feeling that the allotment may have security issues once produce starts growing.
Conservatory window sill
Conservatory window sill
Attachments
Parsnips
Parsnips
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What are you growing / starting off ?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tomatoes are romping away

Potatoes are In on the allotment

Naga chillies sprouted over night

Waiting on the peppers
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm Though I do have some spuds in a tub in the garden as I have a feeling that the allotment may have security issues once produce starts growing.
Tubs in the back yard for me too - with spuds, peas and beans, as a back up to the allotment.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I have about 110 tomato plants growing nicely under my indoor lights
Planted my Homeguard early potatoes 25kg
I have broad beans and lots of greens growing on nicely
Waiting to dig more beds for the main crop pots and the carrots, beetroot and turnips etc
Busy time...
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

My raised bed I ordered a week ago is no longer coming due to the manufacturing factory closing with the current climate.

So back to square one growing my own produce. I was going to make it myself but was easier to buy a kit
@Homehardening_uk
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Please can I have some advice

Ref growing potatoes I think my parents use throw veg scraps in a trench and then add the seed potatoes?

I plan to plant mine this weekend so is the above the right think to do.

Thanks
jansman

Post by jansman »

Trojanhorse wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:19 pm Please can I have some advice

Ref growing potatoes I think my parents use throw veg scraps in a trench and then add the seed potatoes?

Thanks
I would not plant spuds on top of what is essentially ,rotting veg.That will cause nitrogen depletion,which will affect proper growth of spuds.Trench composting is a good method actually.Its possible that your parents used the trench compost method for runner beans.They fix their own nitrogen,and that is a tried and tested method,used for many years.

The traditional way to plant spuds is with some green leaf with each tuber.I use comfrey or gone- over perpetual spinach ,but you could use nettles.

My own efforts include tomatoes,chillies,peas,lettuce,welsh onions,shallots,pea shoots,spuds,kale,and tomorrow I shall sow perpetual spinach.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Tenderstem broccoli and normal broccoli have sprouted as have the caulis. No sign of the peppers or carrots yet nor the cumbers, although Im guessing it will have to get quite a bit warmer for those. Some spuds planted which were excess ones from the neighbour. We really should have bought seed potatoes much earlier as the ones I ordered havent arrived yet. Found a random garlic bulb left over for some reason from the ones I planted in autumn which are doing ok so planted that and the onions are sprouting. Bit limited for space here, but husband is in the process of building a couple more raised beds.
Growing old disgracefully!
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Trojanhorse wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:19 pm Please can I have some advice

Thanks
You plant in trenches, but potatoes are hardy things and you can cheat, farmers can plow them in and if you are short of time or ability you can use bulb planters, particularly the drill mounted ones. I have an sds post hole borer which is silent, fast and makes planting pots much easier. But it is still best to earth up the pots or they try to grow out of the holes...
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Thank you everyone. :)