Are you using less?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Are you using less?

Post by jansman »

Here at chez Jansman,we are consciously watching how much of everything we use i.e. Not wasting anything.It's not rationing,just being careful. Food particularly we are not overdoing,mainly so we don't balloon in weight,as we are definitely doing less,me especially!

I can also see financial issues further up the line for many,and I think a little frugality may become quite normal.Is it the same in your household?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Re: Are you using less?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Our food waste is limited to egg shells, teabags and a few peelings.... Pretty much everything else gets eaten by somebody in the household.
We tried composting and had no end of problems with rats, they moved in from next door who used to chuck everything on the heap..... Even cooked meat and any random eggs from her backyard chickens that she wasn't sure about !!!

We're both still working, so life hasn't changed that much
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

I’m usually pretty good with food waste, anything going out of date I will use in our dinner or cook something up for lunch the next day etc.

Any excess from a meal we physically can’t eat or don’t have the space to freeze the dogs will get.

Anything I can’t put in my composter I put into our food waste bin the council collect weekly.

I cooked a decent dinner last night (kind of a cowboy stew) from tinned and dried food only (because I felt like it) only fresh I used was a smoked gammon joint that had been in the fridge a while and was a few days past it’s use by date oh and a onion!
@Homehardening_uk
omega man

Post by omega man »

Our food situation hasn't really changed much, we always try to be efficient and tend to batch cook / freeze, alongside our fresh produce. We are however taking delivery of said items rather than collecting, like most.
We're off work for the foreseeable so there's no 'pack up' but there is a midday snack.

So far I've noticed the following, but I'm sure I've missed loads..

Being at home=
More... Electric
Gas
Fire wood (tend to light fire earlier than when working)

Being off work=
Less... Petrol, no commutes.
Eating out money (maybe once a week previously we'd frequent a restaurant or pub for lunch)
Work change.. you know, vending machines etc

I'll edit as I notice more comparisons.

OM
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We never have any waste but I have to say I'm being more careful with food. Menu planning and using old favourites that I used when the kids were wee and times were hard. Cheap filler-uppers like home made soup and puddings. I think this whole year will be awful and it will go on after Brexit. This is why we prep! :twisted:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

No change here either . We don't tend to have much food waste as it is and my wife tends to use the leftovers , normally in my dinner. Tonight i had the skins from baked potatoes that wife and daughter don't seem too keen on with some left over stew.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'll buck the trend & admit we tend to be more wasteful than we should be but I have "had words" & said we should be downsizing otherwise I'm going to be upsizing with the lack of activity! Also just makes even less sense to be wasting currently!
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Trying not to waste as much with mostly success. More importantly, training the kids (11, 9, 7) to always check dates before opening a new thing, and to be told what needs to be eaten rather than what they actually want to eat.

Mental preparedness coming from a time of plenty and spoiltness, to try and make the adjustment easier.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think those of us who have lived through hard times have a head start in this.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 am I think those of us who have lived through hard times have a head start in this.
Very true Lil.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.