Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Ahastyatom

Re: Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Post by Ahastyatom »

I popped into my local Aldi today, lots of the basics were gone but staff were asking the elderly and people who needed assistance if they got everything they needed. They were offering to see if they had any stock out back for their missing items (and appearing with said items) or taking orders to keep stuff back from tonights delivery for them to collect tomorrow.

One old chap in front of me said he had plenty of stuff at home and that all his family that have told him he was mad over the years are now saying he was right to keep his stocks :lol:

H
jansman

Post by jansman »

I had to go to the bank this afternoon, and pick up layers pellets for the fowls. I went ‘foraging’ whilst out there for stuff we could not get this morning. Very interesting. Long and short of it, I got all those bits at our local Bargain Booze - easily. We made the decision after today that anything we need will be from the Co op over the road , Bargain Booze and the farm where I buy spuds and animal feed. What we cannot get, we will do without. I ain’t entering that scrum again.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 pm
Lone wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 pm I must admit to liking my teas and coffees, but never really considered buying powdered milk, or even checked to see if they still do that coffee-mate stuff...as recently read milk is also being depleted from shelves, and told to think about others more in need of stuff.

Any recommendations for decent powdered stuff...as coffees start and continue my day...that said, if not...I can drink it without milk even powdered, but why do without if there is such an option, that is long-lasting too...even without people panic-buying
I used to recommend Sainsbury's Basics dried milk. I thought it the best of all the skimmed dried milks available. But they stopped selling it. :cry: I now buy Nido - which is usually in the "ethnic foods" aisles (Caribbean) rather than the long life/dried milk aisles. Full fat and much more expensive than the Sainsbury's Basics, but dissolves very well (teaspoon in a cup of coffee, just make sure it's not too hot - if making instant I add a little cold water first, fresh coffee is filtered anyway and so is off the boil by the time I add the powder) and tastes good. 3 heaped teaspoons in 200ml of cold water to make "fresh" milk for pouring on your cereals. I drink my tea black so can't recommend it in tea as I don't know. Also comes in nice big tins with reusable plastic lids which have to be good for something!
NIDO comes highly recommended. It's available on Amazon (for now, Amazon in the US has announced the following):

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) is suspending sellers from sending non-essential products to its U.S. and U.K. warehouses until April 5 in the latest move to free up inventory space for much-needed supplies that are in shortage as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Interesting to start hearing of canned goods and packet shortages. It is something I had wondered about as its not just the products inside but the metals, labeling materials, printing inks and shrink wrapping that all form part of the supply chain. Same goes for the plastic food trays, colour dyes and clear wrapping used for meats and I dont know if we have the raw materials available to produce them do we?

I see today that Aldi have implemented a max purchase of 4 identical items per person policy across the board.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Local Asian shops still have plenty of all the things the supermarkets are selling out of. Only thing they've sold out of is baked beans but I don't think they had too many tins of those in the first place.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:12 pmNIDO comes highly recommended. It's available on Amazon (for now, Amazon in the US has announced the following):

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) is suspending sellers from sending non-essential products to its U.S. and U.K. warehouses until April 5 in the latest move to free up inventory space for much-needed supplies that are in shortage as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
Excellent! Hopefully my whisky should arrive soon then! :mrgreen:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am
itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:12 pmNIDO comes highly recommended. It's available on Amazon (for now, Amazon in the US has announced the following):

We live in hope! :lol:
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Asian shops are starting to run very low as well, we have Ghurka's around here but even their stores are running low
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:21 pm
ukpreppergrrl wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am

We live in hope! :lol:
Yay! The whisky's arrived! Cheers to Amazon and white van delivery man!!!! :mrgreen:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Right Tescos update, bear in mind this is one store so...

No
Pasta
Pasta Sauces
Rice
All frozen Veg
Tinned Veg
Tinned Meats
Tinned Soups
Bread
Toilet roll/tissues/wipes
Paracetamol
Soaps/gels etc
Disinfectant

Morrisons is the same bar the frozen veg and tinned meats.

Strangely comfort foods like crisps sodas chocolate, frozen pizzas/chips and alcohol are unaffected in either store.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.