Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Post by jansman »

nightowl wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 pm It's strange. Even though I've topped up the usual supplies, I still look at them and ponder in a situation like this where you don't really know how it'll develop and how long it'll last for. No matter how much you've got, you're never sure whether it's enough.
You have more than you think. If anything goes untoward, I’ll just go and shoot something! :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I have a very good stock, however I have started to ration myself and my family. We usually eat very large meals with lots of variety, now I am making sure a pinch of this IS a pinch etc.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:52 pm
nightowl wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 pm It's strange. Even though I've topped up the usual supplies, I still look at them and ponder in a situation like this where you don't really know how it'll develop and how long it'll last for. No matter how much you've got, you're never sure whether it's enough.
You have more than you think. If anything goes untoward, I’ll just go and shoot something! :lol: :lol:
Sadly my gun's down at my dad's place in Devon.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I must admit to liking my teas and coffees, but never really considered buying powdered milk, or even checked to see if they still do that coffee-mate stuff...as recently read milk is also being depleted from shelves, and told to think about others more in need of stuff.

Any recommendations for decent powdered stuff...as coffees start and continue my day...that said, if not...I can drink it without milk even powdered, but why do without if there is such an option, that is long-lasting too...even without people panic-buying
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

I've got a couple of jars of powered milk and coffee whitener but can't remember the brands. I noticed the use by date on the long life milk cartons at Tesco was August when I visited earlier this week.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If there's no milk,do without.Adapt.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 am If there's no milk,do without.Adapt.
No milk, no problem, just put vodka on your cornflakes.... :D
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 am If there's no milk,do without.Adapt.
Try giving tea or coffee to a small child and they'll spit it out in all likelyhood but we adapt to drinking it to the point where most wouldn't want to face the day without it so yes !ike you say we'd adapt to life without milk. Not saying it would be a smooth , grumble free transition but if it's not there then we'd have no choice . I'd certainly miss it but i can drink tea without it if i have to. I've tried putting in a bit of jam which works although i may give the vodka and cornflakes a miss just for now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Simple things turn normality upside down,but it's easy to deal with.In my first job at 16, the boss said if you want sugar in tea,get your own,I don't take it.I haven't had sugar since.Same with milk in the last job.I can take or leave it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Lone

Post by Lone »

Adapting to a new situation is a given, but prepping in order to at least get by with a bit of a modicum of comfort, at least in the initial stages of something long term, acquiring anything that helps the transition of having to not having, prevents an abrupt change of habits.

That said, I do like an cup of oxo too with a bit of salt and pepper, always feel the better of it on a cold day or night, totally revives me and heats me up.

Always have plenty juice in too, including diluting...needing water in a survival situation is one thing, but having something pleasantly tasting to drink too is good for the soul