Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Plymtom

Re: Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Post by Plymtom »

Just had a thought about the item limit in supermarkets - I bet they've shot themselves on the foo with the easter eggs there. :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

From an article by Tim Lang in Sundays Guardian;

"At the heart of this crisis is a British willingness to let a small number of corporations dominate food retailing: just eight companies control 90% of our food supply. “It’s the ‘leave it to Tesco’ approach,” he says. The prioritisation of price has hollowed out UK agriculture, so that primary producers get the smallest slice of the cake. “They get about 5% or 6% of the value of the food we buy. They need double that. And that 50% self-sufficiency should be nearer 80%. Not out of nationalism, but so we are in a position to contribute globally. We have a default position of assuming someone else will feed us.”"

Full article here;
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ain-crisis
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

And this Guardian article from back in 2017 seems especially relevant now;

"Saving Britain’s food supply: a manifesto to keep food on the table"

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... jay-rayner
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

First hand accounts:

1: In our area Food waste collections are up by 30%, and many items are still in the packaging just one or two days past BBE. Told to Herself by a dustman.

2: The local Curry's cannot keep freezers in stock, as soon as they come in somebody buys them. Told to my neighbour by a guy who works there.

3: Local landowner has declared a field of leeks free to anyone who wants them, he can't get them picked and shipped. Posted on village website

Make of those what you will
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar