Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arwen Thebard

Re: Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"If anything goes untoward, I’ll just go and shoot something!" :lol: :lol:

At the risk of getting banned......or some(thing)one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We live abroad for many years and got used to drinking coffee without milk, looks like we are going back to those days.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just listened to the food program on radio 4 . It was saying that there is presently no shortage of food , there's plenty in the supply chain , it's just getting it to the shops that is a slight bottleneck at the moment. It also mentioned the home delivery set up is under strain as more and more people are trying to buy online with delivery dates a week to ten days in the future. Supermarkets it added were adept at sourcing alternative suppliers so if for example pasta supplies from italy were affected then it could be sourced elsewhere assuming of course everyone else isn't trying to do the same. The program also spoke to british pork producers. A fair proportion of our pork goes to china and when china started to close down there was uncertainty as to whether our pork would even be unloaded at the ports. I can't help thinking this shipping of stuff all around the world is part of the "problem" . We produce only about a half of the food we consume yet we are exporting food too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 pm Just listened to the food program on radio 4 . It was saying that there is presently no shortage of food , there's plenty in the supply chain , it's just getting it to the shops that is a slight bottleneck at the moment. It also mentioned the home delivery set up is under strain as more and more people are trying to buy online with delivery dates a week to ten days in the future. Supermarkets it added were adept at sourcing alternative suppliers so if for example pasta supplies from italy were affected then it could be sourced elsewhere assuming of course everyone else isn't trying to do the same. The program also spoke to british pork producers. A fair proportion of our pork goes to china and when china started to close down there was uncertainty as to whether our pork would even be unloaded at the ports. I can't help thinking this shipping of stuff all around the world is part of the "problem" . We produce only about a half of the food we consume yet we are exporting food too.
Our food infrastructure has always been thus.One reason for rationing in WW2. The import/ homegrown ratio has always been roughly the same.I just listened to the same programme.Interesting.
Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:51 pm "If anything goes untoward, I’ll just go and shoot something!" :lol: :lol:

At the risk of getting banned......or some(thing)one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We live abroad for many years and got used to drinking coffee without milk, looks like we are going back to those days.
Strictly rabbits and pigeons,and dare I say cock pheasant if I chance upon one ( hens off limits out of season) ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Just been in lidl and asda, asda was hilarious, one bloke had a trolley (a small one) and all he had in it was cup-a-soup. Good luck when your kidneys fail because of all the salt!

Lidl was hilarious for a different reason, they had put limits on pasta and the security guard was confiscating baskets of it from people that had ignored the sign by the pasta at the check out and tipping it into a trolley to go back on the shelves.

Didn't confiscate my four bottles of scotch and two of vodka, they've got the Ben bracken scotch in and the ignis vodka, both very good for the money so I buy them when they have them.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Strictly rabbits and pigeons,and dare I say cock pheasant if I chance upon one ( hens off limits out of season) ;)
For a moment there I thought cock pheasant was a code word for a certain politician, forgive the confusion I'm a city boy and only shoot paper...not toilet paper I hasten to add ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:19 pm For a moment there I thought cock pheasant was a code word for a certain politician, forgive the confusion I'm a city boy and only shoot paper...not toilet paper I hasten to add ;)
You're thinking of c**k womble? :D

Sorry. I'll get me coat.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:19 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:30 pm

For a moment there I thought cock pheasant was a code word for a certain politician, forgive the confusion I'm a city boy and only shoot paper...not toilet paper I hasten to add ;)
joking aside, pheasant shooting right now is ,ahem!,slightly illegal,as it is out of season.However,IF I were to shoot one,it would be a cock,as hens will be sitting on clutches of eggs,or have broods of chicks.Got to be a sportsman.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 pm You're thinking of c**k womble?
Indeed

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:49 pm Got to be a sportsman.
Sorry I can never take shooting game birds seriously - I blame Monty Python's upper class twits, then there's the NOBS.. not helping my mental pictures at all
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

I always think when I see things like this that, although well-intentioned, it's going to have the opposite effect to what the shops' hoped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51883440
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

nightowl wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:05 pm I always think when I see things like this that, although well-intentioned, it's going to have the opposite effect to what the shops' hoped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51883440
Indeed a big red button with do not press written underneath, The press caused the very panic they are now criticizing, the politicians who have lied to us for decades about just about everything to some extent must also accept some responsibility for causing a lack of public trust, at this point it ****es me off to a degree that I'll get the look or comment for doing my normal shop for a family of 5 adults, and because there was no bog roll last week I now need to buy two lots to stand still and look like a panic buyer :evil:

Perhaps I should worry more about getting mugged for it in my way to the car though eh?