Rabbit

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Re: Rabbit

Post by diamond lil »

I have to say that my peasant tastes are purely my own :mrgreen: - I never tasted spam or meat paste or anything when I was young. My mum always seemed to do lamb chops or stovies or stew, stuff like that. And always soup - never pudding. So when I got married we ate pudding every day :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes i can remember the fresh corned beef sliced up on the counter. We'd always have it with mash and broad beans and then sandwiches if there was anything left. I can remember tongue and brawn sold like that too , can you even get brawn nowadays? More recently a friend ,5years ago or so , was bringing hazlet ( haslet?) to a camp with him which was probably high in fat and got a bit higher when we fried it but it was nice.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lil, we had lots of stew, only we called it scouse :mrgreen: Tinned soup when it came in, otherwise we had a "pudding" like banana and custard. The ships that brought the bananas in docked at Liverpool, so we were more likely to see bananas than apples.

We had chops sometimes - I used to eat the tiny medallion of meat and leave the rest for someone else :oops: I guess I was a proto-vegetarian :lol:

Jansman, you made the fresh corned beef? Respect :D

Grenfell, I branched out to haslet as a student, tasty! There were so many more options down south.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:07 am Yes i can remember the fresh corned beef sliced up on the counter. We'd always have it with mash and broad beans and then sandwiches if there was anything left. I can remember tongue and brawn sold like that too , can you even get brawn nowadays? More recently a friend ,5years ago or so , was bringing hazlet ( haslet?) to a camp with him which was probably high in fat and got a bit higher when we fried it but it was nice.
I still like to get haslet from time to time when I'm at the supermarket, its been a long time 'guilty pleasure', great on a roll with tommy sauce and a bit of tabasco or the like. Braw.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:18 am
grenfell wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:07 am Yes i can remember the fresh corned beef sliced up on the counter. We'd always have it with mash and broad beans and then sandwiches if there was anything left. I can remember tongue and brawn sold like that too , can you even get brawn nowadays? More recently a friend ,5years ago or so , was bringing hazlet ( haslet?) to a camp with him which was probably high in fat and got a bit higher when we fried it but it was nice.
I still like to get haslet from time to time when I'm at the supermarket, its been a long time 'guilty pleasure', great on a roll with tommy sauce and a bit of tabasco or the like. Braw.
I made 10 kg of haslet only yesterday. We sell loads. Cooked and pressed ox tongues too ( that’s nice!).
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:05 pm
I made 10 kg of haslet only yesterday. We sell loads. Cooked and pressed ox tongues too ( that’s nice!).
Keep meaning to look for a recipe for haslet, I'm sure its full of all sorts of bad stuff but I'm fine with that. :D

Can't say I've tried the pressed ox tongues, what are they used for ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Haslet ( my recipe...industrial size!) 7kg minced pork shoulder, 1.2 kg minced bacon, 1.35 kg sage and onion stuffing,40g English dried sage, 250 gram ‘superbloom’ sausage seasoning. This could be replaced with 60gram of black pepper. Mix well , adding half a litre of iced water as you go. Re mince. I pack this mix into three parchment lined bread tins, tip them out ( in the paper) into a large tin, add water, and bake for 3 hours at 180 degrees c.

Boiled ox tongue, shredded and pressed. A cooked meat that is a delicacy. Butchers perk is eating it when hot! Lovely.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thanks Jansman, you work to a greater scale than I do but I do fancy having a crack at it sometime.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Haslet or Acelet, as East Midlanders call it , is an increasingly rare thing. Remember what I said about food heritage?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm Haslet or Acelet, as East Midlanders call it , is an increasingly rare thing. Remember what I said about food heritage?
I don't exactly search it out but I've seen it in the supermarkets and especially if I'm shopping when hungry or hungover I'll get some.