Rabbit

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
piglet

Re: Rabbit

Post by piglet »

Wild Rabbit
Cut into strips, dipped in egg and herbs, then rolled in bread crumbs was a simp!e, and quick favourite in our home.
ain't settlin'
jansman

Post by jansman »

piglet wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm

I used to make money by wiring rabbits too , when I was a lad! My dad used to put long lines down with lobworm for eels. Sadly eels are in decline.
Never tried long-lining for Eels, but growing up by the sea we regularly laid sand lines at low tide, during the winter months. That was back in the day when Lugworm and Ragworm were so plentiful, we could easily dig enough to bait 100+ hooks. I think the invention of Lugworm pumps have made Lug much rarer now as I see so few casts when walking on the sands.
Do people even dig Lugworm anymore? A skill that seems almost lost now.
I must admit, when I was into beach fishing, I used a lugworm pump! I used to see fellas with buckets on plastic sledges collecting for tackle shops. You could have a point about that making lugs a bit scarcer. I was always intrigued by the old boys laying sand lines, and the lads in wetsuits walking the edge with drift nets. Nice way to make a few quid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

God that takes me back piglet. My dad used to spend an hour or so a day when I was wee, digging for lugworms. I didn't know they were getting rare.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Well a boxing day update.
Cooked the rabbit , roasted in a bag with a few onions and a couple of bulbs of garlic , and served alongside the turkey. . I had some , my wife had some and my father in law had some too. I even managed to convince my sister in law to try some. She did say it tasted ok but was a bit tough. That initiated the response from my wife that it wasn't tough , it was lovely and tender which it was . Then she said it was all bones which granted there's more bones than say a beef joint but really it's only the same as a chicken. I take it as a small victory actually getting her to try it but i know there's going to be no big victory and see rabbit on the menu anytime soon.
piglet

Post by piglet »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm God that takes me back piglet. My dad used to spend an hour or so a day when I was wee, digging for lugworms. I didn't know they were getting rare.
When I was a youngster, lugworm casts were so numerous there was little space between them.
Now I have been walking at low tide and had to search to find any at all. So yeah I would say they are certainly a lot rarer than they once were.

But I think you can say that about almost most wild creatures.
ain't settlin'
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Never had rabbit and would happily eat it, but did eat pigs trotters as a child and brawn which I loved. A favourite of mine and something I cant seem to find anymore was Elder which is cows udder and which I used to eat sprinkled with salt
Growing old disgracefully!