Big container for leaf mould

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Big container for leaf mould

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm Just re- read your OP Arzosah.You have unused wheelie bins? If so,then perfect! I appreciate that your diy skills and tools * may* be limited,but it sounds as if you have a drill. If so,then ( with the biggest bit you have) drill a series of holes in the bottom,around the edge to cut the bottom out.Holes drilled around the perimeter,close together to ' cut ' it out. I am sure you get the idea.If you want to push a few holes through the sides with the drill,then great! You then have an easily moved ( and lidded) compost heap.Don't worry if the council want it back,just say it was nicked! It happened to me.
That's exactly what I was originally thinking of :mrgreen: I've made a rocket stove, I could hack this sort of thing. I was imagining a downside of the holes not being big enough for my little wormy friends to make their way in - but as grenfell mentioned, its about fungal processes, not worms. And guess what, they're genuinely *my* bins, old fashioned type with a dustbin lid and all, just made of plastic, not metal :mrgreen:

Part of me is desperate to get some organic matter into this very clay-ey soil (though I know its fertile) and part of me is desperate to replace the nutrition that the weeds keep sucking out of it. I haven't been able to do any weeding for weeks, so it was great to get back to it these last few days. That's why I'm so enthusiastic about the leafmould.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

When I need to put holes in plastic tubs/pots/buckets I use a blow torch to heat the end of a piece of metal pipe and melt them through, its less likely to crack
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh wow, I love that :lol: thanks ForgeCorvus. Sorry, it's the "hobby" aspect that we've talked about on here sometimes, that just sounds **amazing** :mrgreen: and also very practical as well as fun, because that sort of plastic really does split. I don't have a blowtorch ... I could heat a fire poker over the flame of a camping stove (or even the gas cooker) ...

Prosaically enough, I'm currently filling up the big check bag - man, its big, it takes a *lot* of leaves. Photos tomorrow.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I did a leaf clear for a customer today . There were a lot of leaves and in a very short period of time the wheelie bin was full. Part of me wanted to bring it all home with me but i've already brought a load home and have p!enty of my own , well once i get round to picking the.m up
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 pm Oh wow, I love that :lol: thanks ForgeCorvus. Sorry, it's the "hobby" aspect that we've talked about on here sometimes, that just sounds **amazing** :mrgreen: and also very practical as well as fun, because that sort of plastic really does split. I don't have a blowtorch ... I could heat a fire poker over the flame of a camping stove (or even the gas cooker) ...

Prosaically enough, I'm currently filling up the big check bag - man, its big, it takes a *lot* of leaves. Photos tomorrow.
Yes, that would work. It doesn't have to be red hot as the plastic (probably Polypropylene ) melts at less then 200C.
I've used pokers and other bits of steel rod, but I find that tube works best for larger holes (a bit of copper plumbing pipe is fine, but hold it with a rag as it can get hot at the handling end pretty quick)

Oh, and doing it outside prevents the house stinking of melting plastic and the following 'discussion' :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sigh ... tech always wins. I took a couple of photos this afternoon, with my phone. My phone has decided that it's not going to let me transfer any photos to my computer. I haven't logged in here on the phone ever, so I've no idea if I could do it that way. Not going to do it tonight, in any case, and y'know, its a photo of a bag of leaves :mrgreen: not exactly exciting. I know that the illusion of tech having a mind of its own is caused by conflicting programmes/ electronic static/ lost babelfish etc, but its still annoying. Such is life.