Drip irrigation systems

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Drip irrigation systems

Post by jansman »

As part of my programme of ' weaponising' :lol: my vegetable garden next year,I am mindful of the laws of thermodynamics.Don't put in more energy than you get out...my energy!

So on that note,I am considering a drip irrigation system to cover the whole bed system and greenhouse.That way I can turn on a tap( or have it on a timer whilst away),and sit in the sunshine of an evening instead of running around like a blue ar*ed fly. :lol:

Do any of our gardeners here have experience of,or recommendations of particular products?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ninetydot

Re: Drip irrigation systems

Post by ninetydot »

I've used the 7mm plastic pipe drip system and it worked great for small areas but an 8'X12' raised bed however was a pain to move the drippers about as required with different crop rotations.

I changed to a weep hose that could be easily moved, but it only weeped for 10' of its 25' length as it needs a lot of water pressure to get it to weep over the full length, any kind of a rise and it would not work :roll:

I found the best watering system was a rail over the center of the beds with a piece of old hose with holes poked into it with a nail this was attached to a garden hose worked perfectly.
have fun... :D
jansman

Re: Drip irrigation systems

Post by jansman »

ninetydot,thanks very much for your reply.You have just saved me a load of effort and cash,going on your experience. Now the bar over the bed idea sounds like a good idea.I have used weep hose before,and I also found it rather ' lacking' as it were. So that's another project to play with :lol:

Once again ninetydot,thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.