Where do you grow your peppers?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
D&DD

Re: Where do you grow your peppers?

Post by D&DD »

I've noticed a lot of weird goings on this year compared to a normal year in the South at least. I think some of it has been caused by varieties I grow by this I mean I grow ones bred for the UK climate which at one time was always cold,wet and miserable even in the summer :lol:

It has been exceptionally mild this year and due to our early spring and late mild weather some places in my garden are on their third crops of the year!
This in turn means the cool weather crops are struggling, I've even had Boltardy bolting and I've grown it for 20 years now and never seen that before..

Then we now have had no sun to ripen the crops which have formed although the toms did get there eventually.
I also think some of the seed which was saved last year was not of the best quality due to the issues caused by the extreme heat.
A lot of growers had problems this year with really poor germination and rotting tubers/sets etc.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Mine I grow TWO plants to one tub in the Conservatory.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

How did they do?
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

grenfell wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 am How did they do?
Fine grew to about 4 ft 6 tall and heavily laden with fruit, had a couple of minor probs one was greenfly, first none, next morning totally covered, but bug spray fixed that. Second was a combination of me slightly overwatering and again me putting the plants too near the glazing which saw a bit of overheating damage ( same with tomatoes) once I moved them away from the glass a bit they were fine. Wife has pickled what we did not eat.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I did have a small problem with greenfly but i pretty much solved it by having a squashing session each morning. The green house plants have had some slug damage but the outdoor ones have been largely pest free.