Cooking when the power goes out.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jillybean

Re: Cooking when the power goes out.

Post by Jillybean »

No not a hill walker, although I do walk the dog. We used to camp loads as kids, just not now.

My youngest and I love the rocket stove, it's quick,low fuel and once you get it going it's great. It's more of a comfort thing looking for an indoor alternative (or in a shift batten down the hatches situation). I've put a single burner in my basket, just got to check with OH.

I actually gathered some bits to make a wonder oven before reading this. Unfortunately I was shamed into getting rid of some bits, including the foam beads I've had hanging around for years. So now I need some more. I do like the idea of having breakfast ready for the kids before we wake up!

I also like the idea of a solar oven. There are some simple ideas to try.

Thanks for the advice.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi Jillybean :mrgreen:! I cook with calor gas, we have no mains gas here. Full size smart new cooker, no worries about powercuts. But years ago when I was all electric I had a camp stove and used it with the kitchen door open.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Another option is gel, you'll still need a stand of some sort to cook on but its used in catering.

I'm sure you could come up with something to stand a pot on over the gel.

Its very stable and used in restaurants.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 pm Another option is gel, you'll still need a stand of some sort to cook on but its used in catering.

I'm sure you could come up with something to stand a pot on over the gel.

Its very stable and used in restaurants.

They are ok but more for keeping hot food warm eg Indian banquets I've made a support using a sweet corn tin but the mod dragon fire stove gives out much more heat
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Chffing gel has its place, I don't use it outdoors as I don't think it kicks out enough heat, certainly not in inclement conditions but I've used it in bothies and its fine, not as quick as gas on max chats etc but if someone is looking for something to use when the mains go off, it will cook your scran for you and its a very simple and safe alternative. Depends what you're looking to achieve mate.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm Chffing gel has its place, I don't use it outdoors as I don't think it kicks out enough heat, certainly not in inclement conditions but I've used it in bothies and its fine, not as quick as gas on max chats etc but if someone is looking for something to use when the mains go off, it will cook your scran for you and its a very simple and safe alternative. Depends what you're looking to achieve mate.

Oh I agree. Ok for warming a mre in a crusader cup but not much use for a pan of pasta for a family meal the old reliable trangia is ideal for that and methalyted spirit is cheap at home bargains :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 pm
Deeps wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm Chffing gel has its place, I don't use it outdoors as I don't think it kicks out enough heat, certainly not in inclement conditions but I've used it in bothies and its fine, not as quick as gas on max chats etc but if someone is looking for something to use when the mains go off, it will cook your scran for you and its a very simple and safe alternative. Depends what you're looking to achieve mate.

Oh I agree. Ok for warming a mre in a crusader cup but not much use for a pan of pasta for a family meal the old reliable trangia is ideal for that and methalyted spirit is cheap at home bargains :D
We're going way off piste from the original post, Trangia's are great for cooking outdoors, that's not what the OP was looking for, you could put 3 or 4 chaffing gel pots under the shelf out of the cooker, it would let you cook a couple of pots if you need to cook on a larger scale. The OP isn't a camper and is looking for an alternative to mains. Just suggesting another cheap option that is stable and with a long shelf life. My 'go to' was similar to your inital suggestions of the simple gas systems.