Carrot storage question

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

Carrot storage question

Post by PreppingPingu »

I have stored about 6 of my allotment carrots (I know - 6 :lol: - but it was a trial run,) in a small plastic container, without lid filled with horticultural sand. A layer of sand, then the roots ensuring they don't touch, then sand on top. Put them in the back of the garage which is in a block, separate from the house and maintains a cool steady temperature and is of course dark. Went in after 2 weeks to check and the damn things were throwing up shoots out of the sand! I pulled the shoots off, adjusted the sand and have left them be. Will check again in a week's time. Any tips on storing root veg, I want them to last and not sprout. I have looked online and in a few books but asking folks that do it is always best, from the horses mouth and all that! Thanks in advance.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Re: Carrot storage question

Post by jansman »

Best to leave them in the ground until the weather cools right down and the days shorten. The sand or earth you use must be bone dry, and don’t use plastic as it sweats. Wooden boxes are best. We have relatively mild Winters at the moment, and I would dig them as needed. Hope that helps. Oh yes, and wherever you store your carrots, that must be cool too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Re: Carrot storage question

Post by PreppingPingu »

Ah dry earth. Yes that'll be it then. The horticulral sand was a bit damp damp but the article I read said to use it but my brain and instinct said nar dry sand or soil. The reason I want to pull them is the ground is quite claggy due to its clay content and so as the weather changes, I wanted them not to rot and the roots were aready being nibbled at. But yes, in an ideal world I should leave them in situ for longer. Thanks Jansman.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)