The New Veg on the block

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

The New Veg on the block

Post by Deeps »

We were in Asda today and saw this.

We didn't have a clue but thought we'd give it a go. Back home and a bit of research suggests its the new vegan 'in' thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/m ... sainsburys

I'll let you know how we go with it. Has anyone else on here given it a go ?????
hobo

Re: The New Veg on the block

Post by hobo »

Never come across it. V interested to find out though!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Fascinating! So fascinating I went to the Asda website to see it in closeup :oops: It sounds like the texture is brilliant (and that's not nothing in terms of veggie food) but as a sub for meat and fish etc, it's slightly dodgy nutritionally: less than 1% protein, sadly. I think jackfruit was a bit the same in terms of protein. But I could still get protein from nuts and whatnot - this sounds like it could be like those meaty mushrooms, yum yum. Let us know.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hobo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm Never come across it. V interested to find out though!
Deliberate ??? :lol:
Arzosah wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:37 pm Fascinating! So fascinating I went to the Asda website to see it in closeup :oops: It sounds like the texture is brilliant (and that's not nothing in terms of veggie food) but as a sub for meat and fish etc, it's slightly dodgy nutritionally: less than 1% protein, sadly. I think jackfruit was a bit the same in terms of protein. But I could still get protein from nuts and whatnot - this sounds like it could be like those meaty mushrooms, yum yum. Let us know.
Will do, not sure when we're having it but I'll report back.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Concerted effort being made to produce plant based food to get people of actual meat. Except insect meat.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

That is an interesting product. The trouble with Vegan stuff is that it is more often than not , imported, especially in Autumn, Winter and early Spring in the UK. Ours is a temperate climate. Now most Vegans I know also have an environmental agenda. Imported veg robs countries of water amongst other things as I understand the environmental ‘Food Mile’ movement. We cannot grow enough to support a 100% UK Vegan population. We cannot grow enough to support a 100% VEGETARIAN population. Indeed we cannot support ourselves with food 100%, whatever you choose to eat. Full Stop. We even have to import spuds during the ‘hungry gap’. Parts of this island can only support sheep. That means meat.

With all this No Plastic/Local Food/ Veganuary/Kiss The Rainforests Arse/No Carbon Emissions, I find Vegan products to be something of a contradiction in terms.

I have no beef ( see what I did there? :D ) with a plant based diet. Hey! I grow and eat LOTS of vegetables and salads. But I eat meat. My go to is local game. I shoot and ( we) eat pigeons, rabbits , partridge and pheasant aplenty. At this point in time, that source of food is locally sustainable.

This is from a preppers point of view, not an idealogical one. Right now, our First World can support unsustainable diets.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 pm Concerted effort being made to produce plant based food to get people of actual meat. Except insect meat.
There was an article on radio 4's consumer programme "you and yours " yesterday all about the eating of insects. Comes under the Novel foods legislation from the eu . Novel seems to embrace anything not eaten to any real degree in europe prior to 1977 which of course includes insects. Seems there's a lot of paperwork and a lot of testing to be done to ensure a food's saftey for consumption. It was saying that in some european countries there's just a simple outright ban.
I agree with what jansman says with regards to how much , or little, we produce. I have read somewhere a report done in i think the late 70's or 80's where it calculated that it would just about be able for us to produce enough food for ourselves. Literally turning every spare scrap of land over to food production. The report did add that while such a thing is technically possible we'd have no room at all for growing anything non food related , no wood or the like for fuel , no flax for linen , nothing we'd still be reliant on imports. Recently a post came up on facebook arguing that if we were to manage our food distribution and wastage better the world could easily support a population of ten billion. Whi!e i have sympathy with the waste issue i don't see how improving the distribution aspect would help that much . We already transport foods across the globe within a few days of harvesting . And all of this without concern for energy resources.
I reckon we could produce enough food in the Uk to be self sufficient IF there were less of us. But say we're overpopulated or we should limit the amount of people entering the country and covering yet more farmland in houses and you are instantly labelled a racist .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 pmWith all this No Plastic/Local Food/ Veganuary/Kiss The Rainforests Arse/No Carbon Emissions, I find Vegan products to be something of a contradiction in terms.
:lol: :lol: :lol: kissing the rainforest's arse!
The contradiction in terms thing is absolutely true: I'm vegetarian, and I've recently discovered I'm an environmentalist first, which I hadn't suspected. Years ago, to avoid leather, veggies like me would use plastic - I'm thinking particularly of handbags here. I used to buy one every 2 -3 years, when they literally fell to bits. The last handbag I bought was leather - just plain black leather - and I expect it to last a good deal longer than 2 - 3 years. Specifically bought to kiss said rainforest's arse :lol: I've also just bought a leather armchair and footstool - from a charity shop, £145, yay! - for my posture, and for ease of cleaning.
I have no beef ( see what I did there? :D ) with a plant based diet. Hey! I grow and eat LOTS of vegetables and salads. But I eat meat. My go to is local game. I shoot and ( we) eat pigeons, rabbits , partridge and pheasant aplenty. At this point in time, that source of food is locally sustainable.
That sounds great to me! The concepts underlying "food miles" are much more important than vegetarianism, for me. I like the "beef" thing, by the way :lol: I wonder if the ethical meat movement will get its act together - there are a lot more small businesses nowadays that work with meat and animal products, they seem to be completely unrepresented in the public debate at the moment.
ETA: I'd like to see some small businesses using more of the byproducts, like feathers.
This is from a preppers point of view, not an idealogical one. Right now, our First World can support unsustainable diets.
We can. But I don't think we should, and that *is* an ideological statement, sorry :( . I wasn't thinking things through about the jackfruit or the banana blossom :( But it's difficult. If we're going to get tropical imports, would I rather have them be flowers or veg? Veg, I think. I'd also like to see help given simultaneously to establish more sustainable trade and value-added practices (manufacturing at low-carbon levels?) in the area. But the issues are global: massive Chinese intervention in Africa for raw materials, for one thing. That slow slide to shtf is starting to accelerate, and it will need a lot of oomph to turn the tide. Sorry for the mixed metaphors :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We're having it tonight so I'll let you know how we go, I think we're beer battering it so looks like we'll be having chips. Yuuuusssss !
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am currently re- reading ' Independence Days' by Sharon Astyk.It is basically about local food systems,and embracing your own local ( staple) foods.To me,that is a good idea.Against my better judgement,we have been to Tesco this morning,( The Duchess insisted we fill the fridge,prior to her going into hospital in the morning).As we walked round ,we went through the vegetable aisle,and it was good to say, " got it all in the garden".We are working with what we have,so to speak.

The point is,that not many folks are able to do that, and as a result I don't think the UK has a truly ' staple' diet; we have gotten used to an ever varied variety of foods from around the world.That's not a bad thing,but it seems that we have got to start changing our ways.It truly shocked me when I read of imported Kenyan beans,not just being beans,but imported water! We are buying packs of water that belong in Kenya! Of course,we have known that we have to change for the last 50 years...

The Extinction Rebellion crowd are shouting at governments around the world to change things to ' save the planet'. It has to start with us at an individual level though.Government,generally,does what the electorate employs it for.So if the cry goes out for more houses,another airport or more mobile phone masts,they tend to facilitate it.In my opinion,the change that activists wish to see,has to start with us,the individuals.That change,initially,should be food..Farming is ' blamed' for something like a fifth of all greenhouse gas emissions.Well,we all eat the food the farmers produce,we have to.Its up to us to choose where that food comes from.

I can see a change,possibly in the time I have left on earth,whereby the planet has to eat what it can produce at a ' local' level.If what the campaigners say is correct,we shall have to. Overnight,that would have a ripple effect,and cause a reduction in transport,energy use,water,packaging and so on.Yes,it would mean a more plant- based diet,and I think it would also foster a return to a more simple,local way of life.No more shiny shite,no flying off to sunny resorts three times a year...but not having to be on the financial treadmill either to pay for all that damages our home. Food is that powerful. What a thought.

But are we too selfish to adopt a far more basic diet?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.