Eggsperiment

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Eggsperiment

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well 9/11 has been and gone I'm guessing Jenny is no longer with us :o

On the upside reading this Ive replaced 3 of the 5 birds the fox had earlier this year.....
IMG_20190915_141522240.jpg
Fresh eggs are the best
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 pm Well 9/11 has been and gone I'm guessing Jenny is no longer with us :o
LOL. No sweat. I survived with zero ill effects.
I have now placed an order for LOTS more. But at the same time, I do intend to aggressively use up my old stock.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 back in 2019 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 am I can confirm that after two days of eating substantial amounts of reconstituted powdered egg BBE 2017, that I suffered no attributable ill effects.

[tmi]Toilet events perfectly normal :) :roll: [/tmi]

I do think there's noticeable deterioration in texture, colour and flavour of the eggs :), but perfectly acceptable.

I'm glad I tested the product this way, albeit at some risk. Success!
My remaining stock will be put into more aggressive regular diet plan with a view to using it up within the next 12 to 18 months
I failed to use up my 2016-2017 powdered egg, and tried a little yesterday. This had BBE Dec 2017 and has been kept in a fridge in a ziplok.

Sadly it has deteriorated quite significantly. When I rehydrated it, it would not lose its powdery texture no matter how hard i beat it. I added milk and butter and made microwave scrambled egg.

Smell was fine. Taste was fine. It didn't make me ill. But the texture was quite poor. A powdery rubbery mouth feel. Might have been ok for baking.

So. Powdered egg struggles to last 5 years. Oh hum. Who'd have thought it?

The bad news is that my supplier no longer supplies it. It's now pretty hard to source at decent quantity and price. There's one supplier on ebay at £16.50 per kilo.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:46 pm
jennyjj01 back in 2019 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 am I can confirm that after two days of eating substantial amounts of reconstituted powdered egg BBE 2017, that I suffered no attributable ill effects.

[tmi]Toilet events perfectly normal :) :roll: [/tmi]

I do think there's noticeable deterioration in texture, colour and flavour of the eggs :), but perfectly acceptable.

I'm glad I tested the product this way, albeit at some risk. Success!
My remaining stock will be put into more aggressive regular diet plan with a view to using it up within the next 12 to 18 months
I failed to use up my 2016-2017 powdered egg, and tried a little yesterday. This had BBE Dec 2017 and has been kept in a fridge in a ziplok.

Sadly it has deteriorated quite significantly. When I rehydrated it, it would not lose its powdery texture no matter how hard i beat it. I added milk and butter and made microwave scrambled egg.

Smell was fine. Taste was fine. It didn't make me ill. But the texture was quite poor. A powdery rubbery mouth feel. Might have been ok for baking.

So. Powdered egg struggles to last 5 years. Oh hum. Who'd have thought it?

The bad news is that my supplier no longer supplies it. It's now pretty hard to source at decent quantity and price. There's one supplier on ebay at £16.50 per kilo.
16.50 a kilo makes looking after my egg- laying ladies look reasonable.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:54 pm 16.50 a kilo makes looking after my egg- laying ladies look reasonable.
True. But not outrageous value for the equivalent of about 80 eggs, for those of us unable to keep chickens.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:54 pm 16.50 a kilo makes looking after my egg- laying ladies look reasonable.
True. But not outrageous value for the equivalent of about 80 eggs, for those of us unable to keep chickens.
Believe me,my hens cost a lot of money to keep. My eggs are NOT cheap.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Jenny

Before we had to quit eating flour and eggs, I had the same challenge of rotating my powdered egg. I found the easiest way to do this was to make a big batch of "just add water" pancake batter mix and leave this in a tub where the teens could get at it when they wanted to snack. My mix was equal amounts of flour, dried egg and dried milk but pancakes are pretty flexible if you wanted to play with the proportions.
(Just add enough water to make to the same consistency as cream and add to the pancake pan)
I dont know how this would work with your very out of date eggs or your family - but you could give it a try if you still want to use the old eggs up.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

£16.50 for 80 eggs or so compares very favourably to what I buy from Asda :oops: https://groceries.asda.com/product/orga ... 0000053377
Price says £1.90 there, it was £1.80 last week, which works out at around £24 for 80 eggs. Surprisingly, there's a kilo of organic dried egg powder on Amazon for that price (better for me, I still have some of the voucher left that I got for switching broadband provider :roll: ). Organic eggs are one of the things I'm prepared to spend on, that's just my personal decision.

None of this is a solution, but it would certainly iron out a few supply issues.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Yesterday I bought the usual 20kg of chicken feed, and as of last month the price has gone up by 20%!
However I've also started a new job at a hotel and I'm now getting the kitchen scraps. That should hopefully buy some time until the garden recovers enough from winter for them to destroy