Latest product best by dates

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jeffleft

Latest product best by dates

Post by jeffleft »

Just read a post that mentions shopping for products can be slow trying to find items with good dates?

Does anyone know a site where people share this information? Obvisly the suppermarkets will not offer this on any shopping site.

example milk, having switched to UHT not just for prepping but for the tetra packs being less destructive for the eneviroment we found yesterday on the 7/8/19 from ALDI UK NW UHT milk dated 3/1/20

This I thought was quite good having bought from ASDA and TESCO with only 2 to 3 weeks left.

Regards
Jeff
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
Stonecarver

Re: Latest product best by dates

Post by Stonecarver »

Haven't heard of such a site,but you are better of just looking yourself at the back of the shelf. Usually stuff newer stuff there. That is what I do at stores I go to. Not one for online shopping of groceries. Have to depend on pickers, usually just take from front of shelf
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

You must also remember that food doesn’t last forever!
Golden rule with food storage: FIFO - First In,First Out. Rotate,rotate,rotate.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 am You must also remember that food doesn’t last forever!
Golden rule with food storage: FIFO - First In,First Out. Rotate,rotate,rotate.
Our local Aldi isn't that hot on rotating stock, I've noticed it's not unusual to be bringing home stuff with earlier BBDs than the previous week or two :roll: Also tins ain't what they used to be, I've left a few things for many years and found that corrosion does occur from the inside and ruin the flavour ( whether the contents are indeed inedible I do not know and did not risk beyond a taste and quickly spat out), it's still probably safe to say most things will still be good for a year or two beyond their BBD but after that if you're not using it ( using the buy what you eat eat what you buy regime) maybe a rethink as to how much you are buying is in order?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We now store far less,as there are only the two of us.I have had cans of fruit leak,as the acidity had eaten through the metal.

I also suspect that a lot of the ' short' dates on hitherto ' long life' products,may be a because of retailers pushing stock through from the March Brexit deadline.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

I agree better to side with caution, I dont think any of us want the last few moments to be left on a trolly in AE.
I have read acidic food are the worst then mixed food cans such as stews?

This leaves me questioning some beans I have in my garage that are passed their BBE although most have been relocated before the temps shot up and while we are talking about food safty has anyone tried these new botulism test kits?

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2 ... ing-toxins
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing