First proper harvest

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Medusa

First proper harvest

Post by Medusa »

The garden did look a bit like a jungle at one point. Strawberries and raspberries have done well with the new growth on the raspberry canes giving fruit which we didn't really expect. A few of the containers of strawberries have been affected by root maggot and have been disposed of. Early and 2nd early potatoes in bags have done pretty good too and are delicious, decided we need to grow more next year. Main crop are still to be harvested. Gooseberries which I cant stand but which hubby loves gave us several lbs (yes I'm old school) of fruit from just 3 bushes. The blueberries haven't produced this year sadly. The onions which we have harvested are looking good and despite spring planting the garlic has done ok too. Blackcurrants have done well, we increased the harvest by picking loads which had poked through the hedge from next door. Rhubarb has done well and has been frozen and some used to make rhuberry crumbles along with the strawberries. I was surprised at the rate of growth of the runner beans which took a liking to my rotary clothes line and had to be gently prised off each day and of the French beans too. These are currently awaiting harvest. Spent an evening harvesting and blanching broccoli after it started to wilt and also appears to have been affected by root maggot. Bags and bags of the stuff much to youngest daughters horror. the little cherry tomatoes are just starting to arrive but 4 plants have pretty much taken over the poly greenhouse and dwarfed the chillis so that we had to move them. Eating apples have done ok again, Bramleys lost pretty much all of their fruit in the wind and the plum tree appears to be suffering from as an yet unidentified issue. Leeks are thriving. Apologies to the seasoned growers, this is our first proper year of growing and it has been quite exciting. It has also been really good to see the increase in insects in the garden. My healing plants have also thrived and will be harvested and dried. The carrots however look like they have been grown at Chernobyl - wonky supermarket veg cant compete. We also appear to have attracted a family of stoats to the garden, good job we don't have chickens!
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Re: First proper harvest

Post by Arzosah »

That sounds like a wonderful harvest, Medusa, congratulations!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Sounds like a really good, mixed harvest and your enthusiasm comes across. It's a great feeling isn't it. :D Is there any better prep skill to have?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Congratulations. I agree with Arwen, it is a great feeling to get food from your garden.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

You can hoard all the food you want but eventually it will run out. Being able to grow food and tender animals is only prep that really matters
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman