Sometimes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Sometimes

Post by grenfell »

Sometimes I have to admit defeat. With the recent hot weather carrying milk in a van has been more likely to see it go off by lunchtime. I mentioned to my wife that I would start taking powdered milk. She produced a tin from the pantry saying to use the oldest first . Made sense I thought . The milk was still sealed , still powder even if a little darker in colour. I tried it in tea and it didn't mix properly which I thought might be because I put it in too hot. Tried it later in warm water . Looked like a very milky coffee , very pale brownish in colour but after a while separated . Too be honest the smell was fine didn't smell rancid or anything like that but just wouldn't make into milk. How old was the milk? Well it was a little oldish having a date of 1985 on it. I had to admit defeat , decide it really wasn't any good and use some "newer " stuff (2014 this time) which was fine.
Stonecarver

Re: Sometimes

Post by Stonecarver »

A while ago I read that a prepper somewhere had to replace ALL his long term stores. Was that you? ;)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm Sometimes I have to admit defeat. With the recent hot weather carrying milk in a van has been more likely to see it go off by lunchtime. I mentioned to my wife that I would start taking powdered milk. She produced a tin from the pantry saying to use the oldest first . Made sense I thought . The milk was still sealed , still powder even if a little darker in colour. I tried it in tea and it didn't mix properly which I thought might be because I put it in too hot. Tried it later in warm water . Looked like a very milky coffee , very pale brownish in colour but after a while separated . Too be honest the smell was fine didn't smell rancid or anything like that but just wouldn't make into milk. How old was the milk? Well it was a little oldish having a date of 1985 on it. I had to admit defeat , decide it really wasn't any good and use some "newer " stuff (2014 this time) which was fine.
I had to throw out some milk powder recently as it had gone solid. Some things last better than others eh ? Have you thought about trying the wee sachets that you can get at events etc ? I'm happy enough drinking coffee black (although by preference I'll take a tiny splash of milk) so no biggy.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Powdered milk is one of those things that I just wont use if it gets too old.

Usually doesnt taste or smell bad but it can be pretty nasty if it's gone.

It's one of the only things that has ever made Steve1989mreinfo on YouTube ill, and he happily eats things from world war 2 rations.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm A while ago I read that a prepper somewhere had to replace ALL his long term stores. Was that you? ;)
No not me thankfully , we're generally much better at rotation than that. To be honest I think the milk originally came from my parents house . They died in 2012 so I've only really had it seven years . Pitiful excuse ii know :oops: and we don't tend to use it that often , it's a sort of just in case thing. Better than condensed milk in that the opened tin of that tends to get eaten as is so the dried stuff will last longer.
It's only really during really hot weather that I have a problem with milk going off so not something that I worry about unduly. I can drink tea black if necessary . If we go to a cafe where they ave those tiny cartons of milk I'll pick up more than I need and they serve but don't bother to seek them out actively .
Good site that jamesy I drop in quite regularly .
jansman

Post by jansman »

You can buy the tiny cartons of milk - about a dozen for a quid- from poundland,Home Bargains and the likes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

True I could if I wanted to but i'm tight and it's an expensive way to buy not very much milk. To be honest the meme. of the thread was more about not keeping stuff for donkeys years than anything else. To be more thorough wiith the rotations and to check just what's hiding behind the pickled beetroot and cabbage on the top shelf of the pantry. :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm True I could if I wanted to but i'm tight and it's an expensive way to buy not very much milk. To be honest the meme. of the thread was more about not keeping stuff for donkeys years than anything else. To be more thorough wiith the rotations and to check just what's hiding behind the pickled beetroot and cabbage on the top shelf of the pantry. :oops:
Rotation is key.No point in having to sling food that has cost money,that took time time to earn! One reason the Duchess and me are running through stores to adjust to being us two again. BTW,I eat loads of pickled cabbage and beetroot...and gherkins,onions,eggs,sauerkraut. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suppose i could always argue that this wasn't something Id spent money or work on , that accolade must go to my parents but it would be a pretty thin argument. I'll put it down to an oversight , to err is human and all that.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm A while ago I read that a prepper somewhere had to replace ALL his long term stores. Was that you? ;)
If it was on this Forum, it might of been me. Purely through health/dietary necessity.

I'm still purging now. Full strength coffee this month :cry:

Still have all pastas/rices to go :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.