Feeding the masses

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Feeding the masses

Post by jansman »

Culture plays a big part in this. The Hindu would not dream of eating beef, the Jew or Muslim pork. The ‘insect diet’ ain’t for this rural Englishman.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

No association with him other than via re-enactment but a guy called Martin Crowley (http://cowleysfinefoods.co.uk ) sells jerky and the like and at one point was selling jellied sweets with insects inside visible through the jelly. I can't quite remember what insects they contained although something like a small scorpion seems to ring a bell. I did try some even if it was just for the novelty . To be honest any insect flavour was probably masked as far as I can remember . As he doesn't sell them now and hasn't ffor some time I think would rather say to me that they were hardly his best seller.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:25 pm Culture plays a big part in this. The Hindu would not dream of eating beef, the Jew or Muslim pork. The ‘insect diet’ ain’t for this rural Englishman.
Yup, we're brought up to eat certain things and turn our nose up at others. I've eaten all sorts 'just cos', even just to show off to mates when younger but I'm pretty traditional really and bugs would be down the list.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

:lol: I'm the one that brought them in, and *I* wouldn't eat them - not unless my life was at steak (see what I did there? :mrgreen: ). I mean, I don't even eat meat! And yes, its definitely cultural: the culture we're brought up in, and the culture we choose, which are sometimes different (I certainly wasn't brought up vegetarian).
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

A lot of people keep saying they cant imagine food shortages happening here. A few years ago I remember the weather forecast showing the entire British mainland all white covered in snow. If it had lasted for any length of time we would have had big problems.
Jansman can you provide details on how much stores you go through feeding those 500 daily. If you are allowed that is, not commercial secret.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm A lot of people keep saying they cant imagine food shortages happening here. A few years ago I remember the weather forecast showing the entire British mainland all white covered in snow. If it had lasted for any length of time we would have had big problems.
Jansman can you provide details on how much stores you go through feeding those 500 daily. If you are allowed that is, not commercial secret.
That is 500 minimum.That doesn't include fresh meat sales,or otc bread sales.As a snapshot example to cover 5 days:

1,500 lb pork sausage
1,000lb bacon products
300lb beef topsides
150lb turkey breasts
150lb pork legs
1 pallet each of tomatoes,baked beans,tuna ( catering tins)
1 case dehydrate potatoes
1 sack each of rice and pasta
200lb minimum diced chicken breast ( this I know ,' cos I do it!)
2 pallets of bread flour
5 huge daily delivery of fruit and veg.
Gallons of milk

Then there are the dry goods,cases of pop and water,tea ,coffee,packaging,cleaning materials etc.etc. AND an electric bill that would make your hair fall out!

That list only scratches the surface.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Wow, thats an eye opener.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 am Wow, thats an eye opener.
We sell many products, and variations therein. Last year we sold 67,000 plain sausage cobs ALONE ( baps or rolls to anyone outside of the East Midlands :lol: ). Forget everything else.

And that is just us.

That is why I am sceptical of plans for mass feeding in an emergency. Food business, whether they sell the primary products or the tertiary ready-to-eat foods, need the Just In Time System. They cannot physically, nor financially, hold any spare capacity.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

That is a LOT :o
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Is that per month Jansman or DAILY
Jansman